DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Razor blade, Bic pen, zip ties = more power!

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  grizzlyoutlaw 
#1 ·
OK, saw this burried in another thread and was SO impressed with the results, I thought I would report it here.

Checking the throttle cable coming from the back of the accelerator, look for play within the cable where it connects to the top of the peddle. I pushed my peddle down to the floor, grabbed the cable and pulled it as far as I could until it felt firm. Then I released the peddle. I saw about 1-2" of bare cable hanging there. So I cut a section of a Bic pen (like another lister had done) and slit it down the side and placed it on the cable, then I zip tied it a few times.
Now the peddle is a lot higher, but the full power of the truck came alive. The response is better (probably because of not having to mash the peddle to the floor), but the strange thing is, my shifting problems went away! It kicks down normally and shifts where it should ANy ideas why this worked?

Well, if you haven't done this, go do it. I know it isn't a "mod" and it can be fixed by getting a new cable, but why spend more when you can do it for almost free and it only takes 5 minutes (if that).

Enjoy!:smileup:

#5 ·
Take a Bic pen apart. The white tube is what you use. The piece of the cable that is longer than needed is what the pen wraps around. You cut the Bic pen casing the length of the extra cable, then slit it down the side. Then wrap the Bic pen casing around the cable. I'll try to take a picture tonight.

#8 · (Edited)
so, at the top of your gas pedal there's a cable coming through the firewall connecting to the top of your assembly. i think that's where he's talking about.
If you follow from where your foot goes(on the gas pedal), to the top of that arm(the metal attached to the gas pedal), push the top of the arm to the floor and that's the cable sticking out, i'm almost positive.

its basically shortening your throttle cable coming off of your throttle body.

#9 ·
Oh, and you should essentially get worse gas millage cuz your giving it more gas all the time.
but more fun and it shifts better cuz what ive read about dodge (i'm new to automatics, driven a stick my whole life) the shift times are all about how much pressures on the gas pedal and, this would increase pressure therefore changing shift times.

hope that helps have a great day!!

#13 ·
Other than the fact my pedal has some left and right sway in it (not a lot, just enough to notice it), not much to say about it except that I now have a good 1-2 inches more to floor it on. So I definitely have the option to have more get up and go.

#16 ·
it was surprisingly hard to cut the bic pen haha. like down the middle. I thought it would kind ot stretch around the cable, but it didnt. I had to keep cutting and making the cut thicker.

#19 ·
Someone forgot to mention you need to be a six armed spider monkey to reach up there, hold the end of the cable, open the slit in the plastic, slide it onto the cable, keep it straight while you put the zip tie over it, pull the tie tight and cut off the end. Oh, and hold a flashlight in your mouth. :-(

It turns out; the cable end on my 95 is about the same diameter as the I.D. of the pen body. I can see it starting to pull into the opening. I'll scratch my head for a bit and find a smaller diameter tube and try again. After a trip to the pet store.

#21 ·
Well this has to be my favorite modification so far. I absolutely hated how my pedal was down to the floor and that stupid spring rocker thing it has going on. It just feels so much better to drive with the pedal out in the open. Thanks for sharing this apensity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.