DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Better MPG!

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  ltdan 
#1 ·
Ok so here I go! I got the go ahead from my better half and really want to make the right decision here. I love my truck and smile everytime I get in it, however it is raking me over the coals everytime I gas up! I know it is a truck, but I want better MPG! I have read all the manufacture site for CAI's, cat-backs, and tuners but for every one that I read I find someone that says it's BS...I don't want to drop 1-2K on better MPG and not get it cause if that is wasted then I will put into jepordy any future mods! :smiledown: Really don't want to hear the "Well last time you said that..." speech. I am turning to you guys for help. I don't get crazy with it I just use it for a daily driver and haul the occasional load of firewood or lumber. What Brands/models have given you the best numbers? :Wow1: Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from you!

#3 ·
What Tuner works best with the 5.7 Hemi? I heard Diablosport was the best but not sure...

#4 ·
Diablo Sport and Superchips used to be the only two worth mentioning. Now it seems the two being talked about are Diablo Sport and Bully Dog. I will let someone with experience on the Bully Dog speak up for themselves, but the basic canned tunes are pretty much the same. The positive the DS has is it has the ability for custom tunes if you want to go down that road.

#6 ·
I don't have one personally yet. But I hear the vararam air grabber does some pretty nice gains. And I'm sure with a tuner it would be better yet. I would have one but wife thought she needed to get prego and spend all the money on hospitals bills. Lol

#7 ·
Here are the most popular items people purchase to improve there mileage/performance of there vehicles hope this info helps, and also if you are looking to purchase more than 1 item let me know what you are thinking about and i can get you a killer bundle price :) (sometimes saving between 10-20% more than our already low prices)

Additionally you can pm me and I can get you any discount codes for items you might be interested in, however during checkout you can only have 1 active code so for orders with more than 1 item with applicable discount codes we have to get you a bundle code good twoards that 1 purchase.

Cold Air Intakes(including the all might VARARAM)

Cold air intakes also can provide better fuel mileage :)

DiabloSport/Bully Dog/SuperChips programmers and tuners

Members use these to gain performance, also almost all tuners have a MPG setting that will optimize your vehicle for better Mileage

CAT-BACK PERFORMANCE EXHAUST SYSTEM BY MAGNAFLOW

You can free up your exhaust flow also to improve mileage, I have seen reports of 1-2 more MPG's with an aftermarket Exhaust :)

FoldUp and Roll up Bed Covers!

Bed covers will make your truck more aerodynamic and can add a couple additional miles per gallon depending on how you drive and diving conditions, better aerodynamics=better mileage :)

any 1 mod and you are probably not going to see alot of gains, however when you combine them you will see more power and better mileage, however sometimes you wont drive your truck the same (keep you foot in the pedal) and you will not notice any MPG gains because the driving habits, however if you have a light foot and do a couple of these simple bolt on upgrades you will with no doubt see some MPG gains.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

#8 · (Edited)
It takes a long time for these items to pay for themselves before you actually save money, think about it and do the math. Most of this stuff is installed because we just want them...The idea of better mpg's is the excuse we used to convince the wife or our selves.

The absolute best gas save is your right foot, it's the only method that will actually save you money without cost you some first!

PS: I have a bed cover on my current truck and I have had them on previous trucks and they DO NOT help mpg's in any way, thats BS! It does do a great job keeping things nice and dry!

#13 ·
It takes a long time for these items to pay for themselves before you actually save money, think about it and do the math. Most of this stuff is installed because we just want them...The idea of better mpg's is the excuse we used to convince the wife or our selves.

The absolute best gas save is your right foot, it's the only method that will actually save you money without cost you some first!

PS: I have a bed cover on my current truck and I have had them on previous trucks and they DO NOT help mpg's in any way, that's BS! It does do a great job keeping things nice and dry!

I agree completely. The money spent compared to how long it takes to finally start saving money, isn't realized. The right foot plays the biggest part in fuel savings. In my experience a tuner on performance setting with 91-93 octane will give me a 2-3 mpg gain overall. i didn't buy the tuners for mpg, but for power. The extra mileage was just a plus.

Also I never saw an increase with cai's usually a slight decrease.

And one more thing to consider is a new torque converter. I have heard but don't have experience, is that a performance converter will improve mpg's

#9 ·
Amsoil. I havent used the mpg tune on the Diablo but I heard it is hot garbage. My tonneau cover did help a smidge with MPG. My KN 63 also helped a smidge with mpg. There is a lot of things you can combine to see a noticable difference in MPG. There isnt that one mod that can do it though.

#10 ·
what is bad MPG to you ? and what do you want to get ?

i drive 22 miles to and from work in traffic and am getting 17 MPG , for a truck , and switching from a 2010 chevy that i was getting 15 MPG , I am very happy.

#11 ·
The best way to gain MPG is change your driving habits...save your money on mods. Act like there is a raw egg under the gas peddle and try not to break it. Inflate your tires to near max. pressures and buy real 100% gasoline.

#12 ·
What has been said already. No mods improve mileage. You get an exhaust and CAI you like how it sounds and you end up revving more. Proper pressure maintenance and keeping the weight off the truck helps. Your driving is the worst killer. Warmup times and short trips are also bad for mpg. There isn't a hemi out there getting better than 16 mpgs in the city. And this topic has been beat to death so you can see for yourself in other threads and all around the net. 2000 will be wasted if used to improve mileage. 60-70 mph on the highway and never let it shift over 3000 rpm. Hope this helps

#14 ·
My gas mileage went to crap when they started putting 10% ethanol in the gas here.
I had previously gotten 21.5 MPG on the highway, now I'm exited if I get it up to 18. Average 15.4-16.5

I have a Diablosport with the canned tune 87 and an exhaust too (not full exhaust, just replaced muffler and switched to dual pipes), but neither of those were purchased with the misconception of getting better mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.