DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cold air intake

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Zekery360 
G
#1 ·
I just got a used 1500, 5.9, rebuilt auto, 4x4, 123k. I've been looking online to see what I could do to get more power. They suggest the cold air intake then a chip, then headers.

From the looks of the stock intake there is already an extension to the wheel well so would I really gain that much from the after market cold air intake?

Regarding the chip, I like what i have read about Superchips FlashPaq Tuners. What is the consensus on which is the best. This one seems $$

Thanks

#2 ·
I would actually take the route of getting a CAI, and then exhaust kit first....Then get the Tuner like the SuperChip for moderare tuning, or the Daiblo for more aggressive type tuning...And yes, it has been proven that stock intakes on our trucks are restrictive, and when installing a CAI, significant amounts have been gained...However, the extra power wont push you back in your seat, but its there, and the additional sound from the CAI is cool too...
By the way go to the "Newbie" thread and introduce yourself to the RAM family...:smileup:

#5 ·
CAI a definate. Exhaust a definate. Chip dont waste your money like i did. Tunner for sure.:smileup:

G
#6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the response. I'm on other forums, on other vehicles, that don't do nearly that well.

I should have mentioned, in hindsight, that this is a 1999 truck and that it has cat only with dual straight pipies back, no mufflers. So am I correct in thinking that unless I want to put on headers, which I don't because of expense and noise, that the exhaust part of the equation is handled. Sort of anyway.

What about the type of chip?

I will go to the new section and introduce myself.

Thanks again

#8 ·
Yes definately..............TUNER not a chip. Bought 2 and three are no good:LOL:

#9 ·
I also suggest the superchips flashpaq. I got it for free so didn't really have any expectations but I am really impressed. I have a 98 5.9L and I noticed quite a difference in acceleration when I put it on the performance tune. I don't have an exhaust or intake, those are coming so I can only imagine the gains with all 3 combined. Not sure if it is your daily driver, but you have to run 91 octane on the performance mode and it can get quite pricy as well as the difficulty that comes with keeping your foot off the floor. I have the 3815 which once updated, works on all dodge trucks from 98-08. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.