DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Went from Drive to Reverse @ 45 mph

962 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  shink5.2 
#1 ·
As the title says I was going down the road doin about 45 and i went to put it in Neutral to rev the motor as i passed my buddies house and i ended up putting it in REVERSE for a split second. The back tires barked and i put it back in drive a fast as i could and just continued to drive with no issue. Later on i try to back out of a parking spot and reverse is gone. A few weeks later the every gear starts to slip. I have pulled the pan and found nothing, only the usual fine shavings. I have already came to the conclusion that i am looking at a new tranny but, was hoping someone here had delt with this before and can save me some time and money. I have talked to a Mr. Transmission shop where they will check the tranny for free but they said im looking at 1800-2400 to have it fixed. I will be getting a warranty.
Any ideas guys??​

#4 ·
A tuff one ,,,sorry guy

#5 ·
That really sucks, man, sorry. I've only seen one vehicle actually shifted into reverse while in motion. My brother shifted our 66 Cuda at about 40 mph- it chirped to a stop, then started backwards. I had to have my trans rebuilt in my station wagon because of the great plastic linkage piece under the airbox which gets brittle, then breaks and you lose 2nd and 3rd if you drive it more than 10 feet like that. A local guy did the rebuild for $500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.