DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone Put HIDs in a 14 yet?

6K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  KnuckleHead 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has put HIDs in their 14 yet. I have a love/hate relationship with them so I would like someone else to try it first. :Hey:

Also, it appears that there is only one bulb for high and low for the 14's, is that correct? That might make it a little more difficult for the HID install.

#5 · (Edited)
Looked into it. Found there are basically two price points for complete systems. One is under $100. and the other is around $400+.

Owners of both types swear their systems are reliable, bright and flicker free. I have not been able to determine which way is warranted. I am not looking to over spend but I do want reliability, water proof, flicker free and bright light of about 6000K.
The bright headlight is a major safety feature. The Ram factory projector headlights just don't come close at all.

Anyone have additional information and recommendations?

#7 ·
I imagine the 14's with the projectors will be the same as the 13's and anything with the quads or dual lenses will be the same as the other 4th gens. The big thing with HID's you get what you pay for. I went cheap and ended up paying in the end anyway.

#8 ·
Yeah, I don't think they are. The headlights are described as "Bi-Halogen", which to me means on bulb for low and high.

I was hoping someone that has their 14 already would chime in...

#11 ·
The low/high stuff confuses me. Do you have to buy both?

If you have separate bulbs for high and low, no you don't have to and I personally wouldn't recommend it. I know a lot of people do, but there is a few second warm up time and normally, for me anyway, when I hit the high beams I want light now, not in 5 seconds.

If the 14s only have one bulb that is both high and low, then you just get the one. I had a set in my motorcycle where the bulb physically moved back when you hit the high beams so the light shone higher.

#14 ·
For the Sport and higher packages, I thought it was a dual system -- One headlight on each side, and each one has a single lamp in it that's used for both low & high. The 70-mm projector has been around quite a while now.
But I can't find a thing to confirm this. I got an email from **************** trying to tell me to buy two sets - one for high and one for low. Not sure I trust that.

#15 ·
Yeah, I know the 13s have two bulbs with the projectors (projector lows and a seperate high bulb), but all the pics I have seen of the 14's makes it look like they got rid of the seperate high beam bulb... and add to that they are calling the lights "Bi-Halogen Projectors" on my build sheet, leads me to believe there got rid of the seperate bulbs.

#17 ·
The projector head lamps used for MY14 are the same as the MY13 lamps. The term "Bi-Halogen" simply means two halogen lamps are used, one for the low beams and one for the high beams.

1. In most branches of science bi- in composition denotes two, twice, or doubly; as, bidentate, two-toothed; biternate, doubly ternate, etc. [1913 Webster]

#23 ·
Following this thread as well...

#25 ·
I gave up on DDM when they started shipping kits straight from China.

I have ran them for about 5 years. Very hit and miss. I had a couple kits that ran for years with no issues, and more than a few that lasted months. The only real up side is they were/are so cheap I just bought a couple extra kits so I would have spares.

#27 ·
There is also a couple professional LED kits now available. They come with driver ballasts, lamps and are canbus compatible. Not just LED bulbs, kits just like HID. Claim is they are brighter than HID with much longer life span, instant on. Have yet to find anyone that's tried them however. Google "24v led canbus" and you will find a couple places selling packages. They appear to be reputable dealers. LED makes sense and Audi is using LED headlamps, just not approved for North America. I think that's just the slow pace of government to keep up with technology.

#33 ·
just bought my 14 ram 1500 laramie yesterday. there is a sticker on inside of driver door saying that vehicle is equipped with HID lights. Could this be correct ? My lights are good but not sure they are HID good.

Thx.
I doubt it. I have a 14 Laramie and it didn't come with them. I ended up putting the Retro kit in.

When you turn your lights on do they take a couple seconds to come on to full brightness or are they instantly as bright as they are going to get?

#34 ·
I helped install a retro kit on my dad's 2010 3500 Laramie. The instructions were a bit of a challenge, and it took a few emails back and forth. Retro was very responsive, and we got it eventually. The results were great, and over 3 years later, it's still working perfectly.
I just ordered my '14 Laramie, and I'd like to do the same. I'm thinking of just replacing the main lamps- with the 9012/HIR2. Can some of the guys that have done this give me an idea of what the install involves? Did you have to pull the entire light assembly off? Did you have to get into the dash and take some of that apart?

Also, how do the retro kits work with not only the auto-on lights, but the auto dimming feature? Does anyone else have the auto highbeam dimming (and have the retro kit installed)?

Thanks!!!

#35 ·
I helped install a retro kit on my dad's 2010 3500 Laramie. The instructions were a bit of a challenge, and it took a few emails back and forth. Retro was very responsive, and we got it eventually. The results were great, and over 3 years later, it's still working perfectly.
I just ordered my '14 Laramie, and I'd like to do the same. I'm thinking of just replacing the main lamps- with the 9012/HIR2. Can some of the guys that have done this give me an idea of what the install involves? Did you have to pull the entire light assembly off? Did you have to get into the dash and take some of that apart?

Also, how do the retro kits work with not only the auto-on lights, but the auto dimming feature? Does anyone else have the auto highbeam dimming (and have the retro kit installed)?

Thanks!!!
For the install, you have to remove the HL assembly, but nothing in the dash:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=157489

The auto headlights work fine, but I have heard the high beam assist thingy doesn't work right due to the amount of light the HIDs put out screwing with the sensor. I cant say for sure as I have never used it though...

#36 ·
Great write-up, Thanks!! I'll have to read it again, but sounds very doable. The hint about the latch in the back, from the wheel well, will probably save me hours and much (more) grey hair.
One of my test drives was at night, and honestly I was NOT impressed with the auto dimming feature. That might be something I just disable . I fired an email to retro to see what they have to say about it.
thanks again - much appreciated!

#44 ·
I asked retro for the installation instructions, but they won't send to me until I order. That's too bad. I think with what Knucklehead posted, I'm good to go.

Not sure about doing the fogs right out of the gate. The checkbook (and it's keeper) tell me I might have to wait a little longer for that.

#48 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.