DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Best hard cover tonneau?

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  RAT ATK 
#1 ·
Hey guys - new to the forum and happy to be here. Just picked up my '13 Crew Cab Sport (black) last week and am trying to determine the best tonneau cover. Specifically, I am looking for a hard cover, folding tonneau. For the bed I am leaning towards a bedrug thus, I want a tonneau that fits with a good seal (no leaks, etc). Does anyone have experience with one they can recommend? I found an Extang that I like - a little pricey but looks nice and has good reviews. TonnoPro and BAK are other brands that seem to get good reviews. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I will have my Roll-X Tuesday so I will let you know how that is. I've had a soft roll up cover and a bakflip. Both were good covers but just not what I was looking for.

#3 ·
Very satisfied with my BakFlip. However, it might not be the choice if you need 100% water-proofing. If I run my truck through a car wash a small amount of water does get into the bed, but not enough to ruin paper grocery bags. I think a dachshund puppy can tinkle more than what gets into my truck.

But then again, with the uncovered stake pockets at the rear of the bed I'm not sure any tonneau that doesn't cover them can keep all water out.

If I had to do all over again I'd still go with my BakFlip. Don't have any first hand experience with other brands but I'm so happy with my Bak I will never need to.

#4 ·
I have a Pace Edward Full Metal Jacket on my Dakota and love it. Plan on getting another one for my Ram. It locks and retracts instantly into the canister with a light push and has various locking positions when you pull it back to close. It is so strong you can walk on it and has the advantage of rails for a rack over the cover. The only downside it that the canister takes up 8 inches of the bed.
http://www.pace-edwards.com/Full-Metal-JackRabbit

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Pickup truck Van

Randy

#8 ·
I've had the BAK Roll X for about a month now and really like it.Took a while for the rubber seal to form to the tailgate spoiler but it's good now. Looks awesome,rolls up so you can still see out the rear window.A limitless bit of water gets in the tailgate area but hardly any.

#9 ·
I have a extang solid fold that was included with a '13 longhorn I bought a couple of weeks ago. Fits well, but is raised slightly up off the box in the front. it looks to be due to the front bulb seal being to thick and not allowing the cover to come down to make contact with the top of the box. I spoke with extang and they were very helpful. They are sending me a new seal that will match the height of the side seals. That should solve the problem. More of an install issue I guess. Despite this, I haven't seen any water in the box. I like the fact that you can walk on it. Maybe they are all like that... This is the first one that I ever had. It takes about 5 minutes to remove it, and about 5 min to put it back. It can be released in the rear with two spring loaded fasteners and can be folded in about 30 sec. Only thing I could want more would be a keyed lock on it. The fasteners that hold it down and are inaccessible with the tailgate closed. Overall pleased with it and the support so far.

#12 ·
I have a extang solid fold that was included with a '13 longhorn I bought a couple of weeks ago. Fits well, but is raised slightly up off the box in the front. it looks to be due to the front bulb seal being to thick and not allowing the cover to come down to make contact with the top of the box. I spoke with extang and they were very helpful. They are sending me a new seal that will match the height of the side seals. That should solve the problem. More of an install issue I guess. Despite this, I haven't seen any water in the box. I like the fact that you can walk on it. Maybe they are all like that... This is the first one that I ever had. It takes about 5 minutes to remove it, and about 5 min to put it back. It can be released in the rear with two spring loaded fasteners and can be folded in about 30 sec. Only thing I could want more would be a keyed lock on it. The fasteners that hold it down and are inaccessible with the tailgate closed. Overall pleased with it and the support so far.
Good to hear a review for this one, I just ordered mine yesterday.

#13 ·
I have the bakindustries RollBak G2 aluminum retractable, similar to Pace Edwards full metal jackrabbit, except the RollBak G2 has an optional tool box coming out, which would sit on top of canister/bedrails. Have small amount of water coming in, I assume through the 2 rear stake pocket openings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.