DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How strong are the tailgates

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  RobK812 
#1 ·
Just how strong are tailgates on these trucks, can i place ramps on them and drive a 600 lb atv up them into the box without damaging anything. I do it on my older f150 and J10 without any problems,anyone doing this to the new rams.

#6 ·
I walk my buell up into the truck(ramps on the gate). The buell is about 390lb wet and I am about 230lb. No issues at all. I wouldn't hesitate anything under 750-1000 lb, I'm not sure of the actual rating though.

#12 ·
Question on tail gate strength

Hey guys, new to the forum and had a question. So to my dismay, my bed is a little short to haul my Harley Street Bob. To do so, I need to have the back tire resting on the tailgate while I drive. I have seen a few different products to assist with this but my question is, can I just put a sheet of 3/4 ply to distribute the weight over the bed and gate and use this to transport the bike? Any info help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.