DODGE RAM FORUM banner

If this BFI still the best intake out there??

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  moparmike07 
#1 · (Edited)
I've posted before about intakes probably about 6 months ago.. Now searching through Threads i noticed noone really talks abuot the BFI intake anymore is this still the best???

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
I dont see how much difference it can make more than K&N intake...Maybe more noise because its alluminum but more power I doubt it...I was looking at BFI but for 500 bucks I rather have my K&N...You can almost buy a TB and good intake for the price of that and it will give you more power...Just my .2 cents

#6 ·
For that long of a wait and $500+ I would make my own out of aluminum, have it coated with a thermal protectant and throw my own filter at the end. It wouldn't be difficult to do if you have a steady hand and some experience with a TIG welder and a metal brake. $500 is a lot of money for something like that. I'd sooner put the money towards a Borla exhaust or something. I don't know how much a Vararam costs but some members do say the Vararam rocks.

#8 ·
I ran a BFI and a Vararam at one time. Performance is about the same, Vararam nudging out the BFI by a little bit. So, at that point - it depends on what you want to see under the hood (metal or plastic............well, BFI is supposed to be going composite, so I guess it wouldn't be metal either?), and what you want to hear? The BFI is loud, Vararam is quiet.

Both are a great choice, but I know you can't get near a BFI without a long wait. I had my Vararam in 3 days, and for $298. Ordered from Maryland Speed.

#9 ·
This probably doesn't belong here (They're not a vendor though so I don't think it goes in the vendor review either - oh well) but I wanted to reiterate the props for Maryland Speed Shop. I ordered from them late last Friday (3PM CDT) and had a UPS tracking # by 6PM CDT!!! My Volant CAI is supposed to arrive @ my door today (only (6) days including a long holiday weekend!!!)!! Needless to say, I'm having a hard time staying focused at the office today! :LOL:

#10 ·
'best' Cai is subjective an argumentative... to each an everyone of us 'best' is basically an opinion in their mind. An interesting that those who have never used a certain product think they know more about it then those who have. Believe me, I know, I was one of those guys... I started my modding back in 05 when i first got my hemi...my first cai was a dropin k & n filter, then a dropin trueflow, I swore my butt could tell the difference...then I saw an AIRRAM intake an I thought it was huge (at the time), I took that idea and made a new tube (using 4" pvc) that did away with the hemi hat, since it was going to allow more flow I also drilled 5 1" dia holes in the bottom of the airbox. This setup definitely felt stronger as well. I then started seein smooth pipe cai's with cone air filter elements and got a mopar one. This definitely improved performance (by this time I was going to tracks so the improvements I was seeing was based off of e.t.'s, not butt dyno).... So when the Ramhammer (now Bfi) came out, at first i was skeptical but the first couple of users raved of the increased performance so i picked one up too... the performance difference was very noticeable from the gitgo and was proved when I hit the track.. At one time my na qc was the 1/4 mile record holder with this intake. I was able to pick up a vararam (thanks jeremy!) and want to try it at the track soon and compare the 2. The best 1/4 mile qc runs the vararam, the next best runs the Bfi (I'm number 5 now...most likely due to the fact I haven't been able to hit the track much lately).... it's hard to tell how cai's perform on a dyno because dynos can't simulate the increased airflow as the vehicle moves faster (and why it seems a vararam will do better down the track)..altho my dyno and Lonnies (vararam equipped)dyno are almost identical (370ish hp/390ish tq), either of us are head an shoulders above other trucks when we dyno together at gtg's

#12 ·
I lkee..haven't installed it yet but by readin the instructions I can tell where you customized the install...less work for me when the time comes ;o)

#14 ·
so the varaam performance better on the track. where would you connect spray to tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.