DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rock crawler trans

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  coyote94yj 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 dodge ram 2500 with the 5.9 gas engine. It has 16" lift coils on rockwell axles and 44" tires. There is almost nothing original left of this truck other then the motor and trans. Im pulling the motor to rebuild it to a stroker and was curious as what you guys thoughts were on dodge transmissions. I have never torn into a dodge trans and dont know much about them. I need one without overdrive and that is TOUGH! Any thoughts?

#2 ·
i wouldn know about your use but the 2nd generation ram trans break according to what i have heard and my trucks is broken LOL

#3 · (Edited)
Get yourself an SM465. It is a GM(Muncie) transmission but I think it will fit your application perfect.

- Bulletproof(came in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton applications)
- Cast Iron case
- 12" case length so it is fairly short
- 6.54:1 first gear(great for crawling)
- Easy to rebuild
- There are loads of them out there
- super cheap (less than $200)

I had one in my Jeep for years behind a Chevy 355 running 38" swampers and loved it. The only down side is 1st gear is not synchronized so you have to come to a complete stop to put it in first but if your going to drive it in town 2nd gear is plenty low enough to start from a stop.

Some more information about it.
http://advanceadapters.com/resources/1951/SM465-General-Information.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.