DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Preformance chip/Programmer?

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  nyramman731 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2000 dodge ram with a 3.9L V6 with a K&N air intake,custom exaust,2"lift in front and a 3.5"lift in rear and rolling on 285/75/R16 Procomps.And I want to put a Preformance chip or Programer in my truck just not sure which brand to go with.I just want a Preformance chip or programmer to add a little more pep to my V6:Racing:.I herd the JET Preformance chips or programmers whatever they are.was the way to go?:4-dontknow:Any advice would be gladly apprechiated.Thanks!:smiley_thumbs_up:

#4 ·
Ya Ive been asking arround at local preformace shops and they dont reccomend em either.they said they dont really do anything.I just wanted to ask on here just to see.Thanks.im glad I never bought one.seems like there just a waist of money.

#6 ·
^agree, chips trick the computer's sensors and don't do good things for the engine. Programmers are just that, they change the programming and like he said do wonders. I don't know if there are any programmers for the v6 though.

#7 ·
I've heard stories of them working and them not.

I have a Jet chip I got from someone with a 5.9L 4wd Ram, and he said it made a big difference, did hurt mileage, but, made it shift firmer, run stronger, etc. But, when I put it on my truck, I noticed nothing...gas mileage was the same, etc. Than again, the truck I had was an SS/T and the computer was already different from the factory, so...that could've had something to do with it.

As far as the v6s...I have no idea...haha.

#8 ·
I have a Jet chip I got from someone with a 5.9L 4wd Ram, and he said it made a big difference, did hurt mileage, but, made it shift firmer, run stronger, etc. But, when I put it on my truck, I noticed nothing...gas mileage was the same, etc. Than again, the truck I had was an SS/T and the computer was already different from the factory, so...that could've had something to do with it.
I think alot of people just want to justify their money spent. All the chips do is trick sensors, just like the "powerwire" tricking the IAT sensor. This isn't good, it just screws up the A/F ratio, doesn't help anything.

#11 ·
Hey JACKED UP DODGE... is this chip simiar to the one in your truck ? I have been away from this forum for some time (years) and the last time I checked there was not a single performance upgrade for my 3.9L
Stumbled across this website and chip tonight and thought it would be wise to check on RamforumZ... low and behold your thread was the first one in the 3.9L performance section and just so happened to be about this chip I was looking at... Strange... guess it was meant to be for me to come back to the forum tonight.

http://www.carid.com/1998-dodge-ram-performance-chips/jet-performance-module-13552360.html

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.