DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Off road help

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  ridgerunnerseoinc 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am trying to make my truck more off-road capable and I'm wondering whether to buy a winch, new tires, or a locking differential. I am limited on money so I'd only like to do one. please tell me which would help me have more traction off road and in the mud.
Thx,
Keggy22

#2 ·
I feel like while all three is great assets, whAts the point in having somethin to pull u out if u don't even have tires that can get to the swampy stuff in :LOL: I'd get tires first, then wheel with a buddy until u get a winch...even then go with a buddy.

#3 ·
Depends on how much you want to spend...

But a winch is usually a must... 12k pound winch with snatch blocks. I would run synthetic line since you will be getting deep. Cables run the risk of snapping although I have never had that happen.

Tires are the most important asset offroad. You can the most bada** offroad truck with A/T and you wont get through the smallest stuff. Get an aggressive M/T such as Pro Comp Xterrain (my personal favorite), Nitto Mud Graps (Not my favorite, but good offroad), or some super swampers.

I would carry a hi-lift. Very useful.

Lockers are always great and so is better gearing such as 4.56 or 4.10..

#7 ·
Depends on how much you want to spend...

But a winch is usually a must... 12k pound winch with snatch blocks. I would run synthetic line since you will be getting deep. Cables run the risk of snapping although I have never had that happen.

Tires are the most important asset offroad. You can the most bada** offroad truck with A/T and you wont get through the smallest stuff. Get an aggressive M/T such as Pro Comp Xterrain (my personal favorite), Nitto Mud Graps (Not my favorite, but good offroad), or some super swampers.

I would carry a hi-lift. Very useful.

Lockers are always great and so is better gearing such as 4.56 or 4.10..
Absolutely what he said.

#8 ·
While all 3 are importain, I'd go for lockers. What's the point in having a "4 wheel drive" truck when only one tire in the front and one tire in the back are spinning? What U have now is a glorified 2WD that looks like a 4 wheel drive. Winch would be the cheapest, followed by tires, then lockers, while more expensive, will give U the best bang for the buck IMO. Spend the $ now on lockers (rear first then front) and then get the others things on your list later.

#13 ·
Not sure what axles U have so I can't say. Should be lots of options for your older truck. I'd go for a selectable locker, one U can switch in and out of lock with the flip of a switch over a limited slip locker (LSD). I have LSD's and they work good but not great. I'd put one in the rear first and if U have the $ do the front as well. Everyone is saying tires, tires, tires, and while I agree they will make a big difference the only thing is U will still have 2 tires turning so what's the point.

#11 ·
I would go tires 1st. Tires make a huge difference in dirt and mud. My friend had some cheap at tires and usually has his 4wd on. I just have some good tear duratracs and use 4 wd much less. My tires usually bite good enough for the light stuff but a more aggresive tire would get better traction.

#14 ·
well, I had A/T tires on my 01 Explorer, and went with Warn's 9.5ti on a multi-mount.. I then proceeded to go places that I don't care what type of tires and lockers you had, they wouldn't help (yes I pulled my Explorer up a 90% degree incline, a tree was down and I couldn't get out any other way) that being said, 99% of the time, a winch isn't needed and tires are the greatest "tool" in your tool bag when your off roading.

#15 · (Edited)
Hey guys I am trying to make my truck more off-road capable and I'm wondering whether to buy a winch, new tires, or a locking differential. I am limited on money so I'd only like to do one. please tell me which would help me have more traction off road and in the mud.
Thx, Keggy22
All things being even I'd say tires with a good but not overly aggresive tread pattern. I need 4x4 to get home and once with a loaner truck identical to mine except the tires it was amazing what difference they made, I'm now running them on my truck.

A rear locker is nice but you can fool an open diff into thinking it is locked by a little brake pressure with the pedal or parking brake, then some easy gas will get you out of some nasty stuff. If my ex- could do it in a muddy wash thenanyone can. A front locker is great if you can disconnect the front axle on the street and when locked it is pulling and giving directional control as well.

A winch or sheep herder jack is good but remember the bigger the truck the bigger the winch size even with snatch blocks. With only a 8Klb winch (on a lighter vehicle) and a snatch block I pulled a rolled truck sidewise through a ravine until it could be righted. To have a heavy winch and or bumper hanging off the front can cause quicker front end wear, you can have a good sized winch that mounts to a 2" reciever hitch front and rear and only take it when you will be in the rough.

#16 ·
All things being even I'd say tires with a good but not overly aggresive tread pattern. I need 4x4 to get home and once with a loaner truck identical to mine except the tires it was amazing what difference they made, I'm now running them on my truck.

A rear locker is nice but you can fool an open diff into thinking it is locked by a little brake pressure with the pedal or parking brake, then some easy gas will get you out of some nasty stuff. If my ex- could do it in a muddy wash thenanyone can. A front locker is great if you can disconnect the front axle on the street and when locked it iss pulling and giving directional control as well.

A winch or sheep herder jack is good but remember the bigger the truck the bigger the winch size even with snatch blocks. With only a 8Klb winch (on a lighter vehicle) and a snatch block I pulled a rolled truck sidewise through a ravine until it could be righted. To have a heavy winch and or bumper hanging off the front can cause quicker front end wear, you can have a good sized winch that mounts to a 2" reciever hitch front and rear and only take it when you will be in the rough.
I agree with the lockers as I said, get selectable ones where U can flip a switch and either engage them or disengage them at will. They cost more but are well worth it. Open diffs really suck fellas, anyone with any real experience offroading will tell U this. They cannot be "fooled" into locking by using your brakes like a LSD can. They are open and will NOT lock period. Brakes can send the power to one wheel or the other but NOT both at the same time. I also agree on the winch set up and size. I have a 12,000lb winch on a cradle that will attach to the front or rear via my 2" receivers when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.