DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Question about horns..

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Blue07 
#1 ·
Okay so I purchased my truck off of a volunteer fireman who disconnected the horn for his siren things. Well, when I got it, I bought a new horn. Didn't do much research and it sounds like a clown car. I want something that sounds like, well, a truck. What better than an air/train horn sound, right? You may disagree because it probably will get annoying, but it's what I want. So if you could help I'd appreciate it.

Well, I really just want a horn that is as easy as uninstall the old, install the new. No installation of other buttons and such. Do they make train-horn sounds like that or do you need a compressor or something? I'm a complete noob with this. I was thinking about getting..http://www.jcwhitney.com/philly-exp.../p2020506.jcwx?filterid=c2545d18048y2002o20j2
..but I'm unsure if this is a basic installation and what not. Any info., suggestions, HELP, would be appreciated. Thank you.

Joe

#7 ·
I purchased my train horn kit from hornblasters.com i paid $450 for my kit....Loud as hell though and I love it....

#9 · (Edited)
Wait fellas, im still a bit confused. All the horns I keep looking at are like roof mount. Anyone have a suggestion of a horn that'll fit this list?

1. Below $150
2. Loud
3. Train Sound
4. Don't really want a compressor, but if I must, a small one.
5. Under the hood installation, where the factory one is.
6. Prefer to have it hooked up with my actual horn button, not a seperate switch. But again, if I must, I would.

Please bear with me, I'm completely clueless and need some help. Thanks

#11 ·
If you want loud, you have to have compressor, and tank, lines, fittings, and gauges. There are some electric ones that, IMHO, sound like crap. Can't beat a hornblasters kit, they have everything you need.

If you have it hooked up to your regular horn(e.g. steering wheel), and you get stopped for a sound ordinance for being too loud by a cop, they WILL give you a ticket guaranteed. You can't have it directly hooked up to your regular horn It has to be on a separate switch. Granted, it's illegal either way because it's violating sound ordinances, but if it's spliced into your pre-existing horn it'll get you in more trouble. something to think about for yah.

I personally wouldnt want it going off all the time when i want my reg horn (steering wheel one) because for it to work you have to have a compressor and tank with that compressor running NONSTOP drawing energy, and making noise just so you can have a horn. but if you go the electric route you wouldn't have to deal with this obviously, but you would sacrifice sound/sound quality.

I have looked into this idea for a while now and would love to be able to drop $500+ on a kit. but they are a little pricey. REAL train horns retail for over 1k, and thats just for the horn itself, nothing else. haha.

hope all this helps ya out.

#13 ·
haha! thats not to bad! how loud is it in person because im sure the camera's doing no justice.

#14 ·
on my 1956 chevy 1/2 ton, i had had an electric horn setup, it had 2 electric air pumps & 4 horns, each a different length, i set it up on a 3 position momentary switch, center position was OFF, hold down in the top position & it only blasted 2 of the horns, hold down the switch in the bottom position & all 4 horns blasted. I had to make my own bracket, so that i would only have 2 holes in my inner fender, the horns were pointed down towards the road & slightly forward. There was no room between the radiator & the grill.

you can find some descent horns at this site, you can hear them too
http://trainhorns.net/

#18 ·
If you want a horn with some balls then you'll just need to spend the coin and get a complete kit. You want the big train horn sound but you're not going to get it trying to cut corners or buying other stuff for less. If there was a way, then everybody would be doing it. Train Horns are not direct bolt in, they're Completely custom to install. Buttons, PSI switches, lots of wiring, an Air Tank or tanks, a Solenoid or air valve, air lines, brass fittings & Plugs, a compressor, and the horn. It's all gotta be mounted somewhere and takes near a full day to install it depending on how detailed you want to get. Mine took a weekend of planning, building, and Installing. My point is if you want the BIG legit Train Horn sound, you have to spend the money and if you're a total noob, then you're probably not going to be able to install it yourself.... at least you're making it sound like you won't be able to...

#19 ·
I too am new to the aftermarket horns and have a Wolo myself. However the wiring looks tricky. It looks like Ill have to cut the wires and use my own connectors. I have 2007 1500 big horn with the dual factory horns with two wiring harnesses. Total of 4 wires all together, not sure where to start. Anyone have any advice? Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.