DODGE RAM FORUM banner

looking to replace muffler.

34K views 138 replies 36 participants last post by  Michael94 
#1 ·
Not much action in the 6.4 section yet! Anyone find a good muffler to give this beast the voice it deserves? The factory cut off its balls with this weak sound.

#2 ·
I called around. Nothing.
Magnaflow, no. Corsa, no. Gibson would make one, they need a truck. If you live in California and are near them, call them. Arrington, perhaps, eventually. MBRP, maybe.

If you are interested in a cat-back system, make some calls and express interest.

Olli

#3 ·
im sure wantin to replace mine but wanna find some videos and clips out there first to see what sounds like what with 6.4, ive always had flowmaster on all my trucks, im bout ready to unbolt muffler and wake up some neighbors haha

#9 ·
got a muffler shop lookin to get mine setup with a cherry bomb vortex after they get somthin layed out that fits, I've ran super 44's on my past 4 trucks, goin with somthin diff this time, can't wait I ain't never been this long without some rumble

#11 ·
well the cherry bomb was a no go so got pretty much the only thing that fit magnaflow 22", got installed yesterday dumped cuz wanted to keep a clean look (hidden) and ya it blows, so gonna get pipes out back next week with 4" tips he said it might give it the deep rumble I'm wanting

#23 ·
Any more updates or pics? How did pipes turn out? Mileage improvements?
got them installed today sounds better with tips coming out back compared to dumped for sure, I can actually hear a lil somthin, got it back this evening an it was poorin down rain here couldn't really get under to see what it looked like, its not as loud as I imagined but I am coming from super44s from my past two trucks so it'a do for now, ill try an post some pics tomorrow and maybe a clip, with it dumped I went to little rock Saturday got 18 somthin on way up there 1st time seen it over 16

#25 ·
got them installed today sounds better with tips coming out back compared to dumped for sure, I can actually hear a lil somthin, got it back this evening an it was poorin down rain here couldn't really get under to see what it looked like, its not as loud as I imagined but I am coming from super44s from my past two trucks so it'a do for now, ill try an post some pics tomorrow and maybe a clip, with it dumped I went to little rock Saturday got 18 somthin on way up there 1st time seen it over 16
What muffler did you install? Can't wait for pics bud. Thanks again.

#35 ·
I just installed the Mufflex-Magnaflow system this afternoon and all I can say is WOW! This truck really does have a v-8 under the hood. It's not loud, but it sounds deep with a nice throaty rumble when you get on it, there doesn't seem to be any drone at any speed. This might be the best sounding easiest to install bolt on system ever. I was worried about when it shuts down to 4 cylinders but it still carries that deep rumble, not high pitched like a rice burning 4 banger. I can't wait to see what it sounds like with a 9000# skid steer behind it.

#36 ·
I just installed the Mufflex-Magnaflow system this afternoon and all I can say is WOW! This truck really does have a v-8 under the hood. It's not loud, but it sounds deep with a nice throaty rumble when you get on it, there doesn't seem to be any drone at any speed. This might be the best sounding easiest to install bolt on system ever. I was worried about when it shuts down to 4 cylinders but it still carries that deep rumble, not high pitched like a rice burning 4 banger. I can't wait to see what it sounds like with a 9000# skid steer behind it.
Great review! Thanks for posting up! I'd like to know how it sounds and performs with a big load behind it. In particular, if you notice any decrease in engine braking. Although I would like more performance that an aftermarket exhaust provides, I don't want it much louder than stock at high rpms. I pull horses and don't particular want to be blowing their ears out when getting on the throttle.

#42 ·
Got a flowmaster 50 Series heavy duty ordered today part no. 853558 going to leave the resonator on first and see how it sounds, this an all stainless muffler and suppose to be best for the Hemi they say, so hopefully it will be in by Friday, and try to get some sound clips from inside and outside.

#44 ·
Between this forum site and others I've visited, seems like an aftermarket exhaust really helps open it up. Anyone out there do any pulling after installing an exhaust. Any change in sound/drone when putting a load on the engine? Any big difference in seat-of-the-pants towing power? Thanks.

#45 ·
I get a ton of drone when pulling in 6th. 5th is fine though. My trailer, half loaded weighs bout 5000 lbs. I haven't hooked up to the 15,000 lb trailer yet but I'm guessing it won't be good either.
On the other hand, it sounds great empty, even when mds is active. Life is all about trade offs.......

#46 ·
5 x 11 x 22 magnaflow here on my 6.4 stroked hemi (was 5.7).. I've used shorter (18") and it droned badly after muffler break in. Have also used Flow 50's (less drone but much louder incab)...the current one has zero drone and much quieter incab, sound is rythmic, half the time I don't listen to radio just to hear v8 muscular rhythm...

vid of 6.4..aggressive cam makes it lope :) , at 1:17 is when I close cutouts with sound coming thru muffler only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.