DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What do you dislike about your truck?

72K views 354 replies 226 participants last post by  MojoRam 
#1 ·
I absolutely hate the head rests of the seats. I thought it may have only been me, but I have had numerous other people sat in the vehicle they have the same complaint. They just sit too far ahead for comfort. I also find the signal direction lever sits too far away from the steering wheel to use comfortably while driving, and I have fairly long fingers to boot. You have to wonder sometimes if some of these highly paid engineers actually sit in something after they design it ?:feedback:

#191 ·
What I don't like about my truck....

Headlights. And I don't think it's the halogen or the aiming: I have owned plenty of vehicles with halogen lighting that provided adequate lighting for night driving. I have to believe it is the reflector and/or the lens: the light simply does not get to the road. And a lighting engineer is lying (or drinking a lot of corporate kool-aid) if he/she denies it.

As consumers we need to push for a recall on these headlight assemblies; they pose a danger to both drivers and pedestrians.

I'm not a big fan of the Uconnect marketing: my truck label and factory build sheet both indicate Uconnect radio. Well, it is not. It is Uconnect 'capable' (with appropriate upgrades). As if there isn't enough distrust in the market between consumers and car manufacturers, Fiat/Dodge continue with the 'smoke and mirrors'. Why not try 'straight up' guys? As in: "Don't drive this truck at night because you won't be able to see anything, and Uconnect is a trademark of ours, and one we like to splash all over your paperwork, but.... you don't get it -sucker."

You gotta love companies that spend money on market research to attract customers and then do whatever they can to build a product to piss them off. Fix it Fiat/Dodge or lose market share; it really boils down to that, doesn't it?

#192 ·
#1-4 the driveshaft
#5 seats could be better
#6 don't put.a u connect radio in if it doesn't connect to anything
#7 3.21 came in my Big Horn, 3.21's don't belong in a truck at all.
#8 needs a mds shut off next to.the traction control.
#9 would have been nicer if it sat a little higher stock
#10 delete the wrangler hp's and put bfg at on the dam trucks.

#193 ·
1. Build/quality issues with differential/driveshaft. Two issues with mine in the last three months.
2. Awful Wrangler HP's - it was like a new truck when I finally ditched them.
3. Transmission needs another gear and more snappier shifts. Awful.
4. I find the pastic surfaces in the interior scratch easily. I have a Big Horn and no leather.
5. Thin sheetmetal. I mean, come on Chrysler - the sheet metal around all my door handles is deforming - you can see it when you look at the truck from the side. You can literally dent this truck by looking at it.
6. Lack of tow hooks/skid plates as standard equipment.

And, rounding up the top spot, or bottom in this case....

7. HEADLIGHTS. Horrendous. I had to add driving lights behind the grille because even the high-beams are dreadfully weak.

#195 ·
Yeah, the MDS should only kick in at highway speeds or something. Having it kick in and out putting around town is annoyyyying. Funny thing is my wife doesn't even notice it and laughs at me when I kick the shifter over to 5.

That and the headlights. Rural night driving sucks as-is. Can't wait to hook up some additional lighting.

#196 ·
2010 Ram 1500, any one have water leaking in the crew cab. just found an inch or more puddle in my back seat in the storage area, i haven't looked where my amplifier is but i think there might be some water there too. i have search on the web and a few people say it might be coming from the 3rd brake light just on the back of the cab. going to the dealership to see what they will do, man i am so dissappointed with this defect i was starting to enjoy this truck so much!!!

#198 ·
My complaints would be:
1. THIN paint. This is the thinest paint I have ever seen!
2. Headlights.
3. Lack of a skid plate option on the express package.
4. The stock tires!

#199 ·
* headlights too weak
I was getting used to them and then I was driving my work truck at night ( Silverado ) Realized again how bad they are.

* no limited slip in my truck
last year I got stuck momentarily in an inch of snow. Slight incline and 1 front and 1 rear wheel spinning.
this is my fault I guess for not looking into it before buying. I assumed a 4wd truck would have it standard
Better yet an auto locking rear diff like the Chev I drive at work.

* the radio doesn't control my Ipod touch like it's supposed to

* the horsepower is less than advertised
Lots of power, but I don't believe this engine is 390 HP.
Or, there is an awful lot of loss in the drivetrain.

#200 ·
I've only owned this 2009 SLT Crew Cab for a few months, and don't really have too many complaints. I assume like most of you here, I've owned and drove them all, so I have a good basis for comparrison.

1. First of all, for people complaining about gas gas milage; you bought a 6000 lb piece of metal to drive down the road. It certainly requires a vast amount of fuel to accomplish this feat. My old 1978 Bronco with a 460 swapped into only got about 6 mpg, with about 200hp. So I'll take my 15 city and 18 highway with the 390 HP Hemi anyday of the week.

2. Trucks ride like well....trucks. I bought a new 2010 F150 Crew Cab a few years ago with the dreaded 5.4L (blah) And I find this Dodge to be much more comfortable and dampaned. Now it doesn't compare to Luxury SUV's, but hey, it's a truck. My family finds it more than adequate.

3. I love the styling. I went and looked at the new GMC trucks and started laughing when the salesman started showing them to me. I said "they look like cheap tin cans from China!" Ford is always a great product, but with the ECO Boost, I don't trust it yet. I loved the look of the Dodge, the true Crew Cab is HUGE. Love the 5.7 HEMI, it is a monster. The trucks sits just right for me and the family, height is not an issue.

4. I am disapointed in the 3.55 gears with the tow package. I'm sure the HEMI will make up for it, but with 20" wheels, 3.92's should be standard. I will be switching to 4.10 gears when I upgrade to a larger camper and get a locking differential, that's just a personal preference.

5. I find the headlights more than adequate, I do have the Quads, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. The fog lights are extremely bright, and I will gladly spend the $20 a year to replace bulbs for that kind of safety vision.

Other than a crummy dealership experience (who HASN'T had one) I will just perform the prescribed maintenance, not buy an extended warranty, and hope my Dodge RAM lasts me for 10 years :)

#201 ·
I got one to top all you guys and girls, I've posted about it before; I PAID FOR A BIG HORN PACKAGE and got screwed on the options. I was missing like 13 options offered on the website and the brochures but didn't know until a few months after I bought the truck. I basically got a SLT with 20" wheels, dual headlights, big horn badge, and the bumper. I didn't get the quad headlights, leather wrapped steering wheel, dont have the controls on the steering wheel for radio/volume, dont have the illuminated mirrors for night day driving or puddle lights, and the list goes on. So quit complaining about your seat belt rattling lol (just messing guys) Dodge could never give me a reason, I filed complaints with the dealership, Chrysler, BBB, and the attorney general's office with no results. :(

#203 ·
I got one to top all you guys and girls, I've posted about it before; I PAID FOR A BIG HORN PACKAGE and got screwed on the options. I was missing like 13 options offered on the website and the brochures but didn't know until a few months after I bought the truck. I basically got a SLT with 20" wheels, dual headlights, big horn badge, and the bumper. I didn't get the quad headlights, leather wrapped steering wheel, dont have the controls on the steering wheel for radio/volume, dont have the illuminated mirrors for night day driving or puddle lights, and the list goes on. So quit complaining about your seat belt rattling lol (just messing guys) Dodge could never give me a reason, I filed complaints with the dealership, Chrysler, BBB, and the attorney general's office with no results. :(

That sucks! I love my SLT with all my options :) Except the stupid Uconnect radio with no Uconnect installed!!

#212 · (Edited)
Head rests are ridiculous! There are several fixes. 1) Turn them around 2) Put them in a vise and bend them (not me) 3) I rarely have anyone in the back seat so I swapped the rear ones to the front. Also greatly improves rearward visibility. I plan to eventually buy two rear ones. If anyone is back there they really need them cause they will hit the window with their head. I'm sure the insurance institute will not agree with me but I think the rear on the front provide more than adequate protection. The fronts are bent forward so in a collision your head is kept forward (not rocking front to back) which is the main cause of whiplash.

The tpms for the 2500 sucks the big kahoonah. You have to buy E-rated tires which severely limits your choices in 20" sizes. Light Load must be 60 fr 40 r. I don't remember how I managed it but I had them 50 F&R until it got cold and they lost a couple lbs of pressure setting off the low air warning.

The shutter when hitting rough close together bumps had been alayed quite a bit by running 50 psi and I think even more so from installing Bilstein's all the way around. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Thought I was gonna jump into the oncoming lane. I had an 8800 lb 2000 2500 that had a much stiffer suspension and it never did that crap.

I also didn't like the body roll and lean in while braking going into a turn. I installed a Hellwig BIGwig and problem solved. Still doesn't go around a turn as well as my 2000 QC, but I have a CC and the wheelbase is considerably longer.

The sun visor is dumber than hell too. If you're driving with the sun low it has a large area not shaded. DUH!!!

It really stumbled, hesitated and lugged when it was new. It still upshifts too soon causing the lugging, but the throttle response has improved. Guess it learned when I press on the gas I want it to go. Another DUH!!! I'll buy a Trinity after I get the stereo done.

Alpine and Ram ought to be shot for calling their sound system "premium"! If you're gonna amplify a system how bout putting some power in the box??? Very weak and for the premium price paid expensive proposition to upgrade. Pathetic Alpine...shame on you! You definitely knew better so why would you put your name on this crap?

After adjusting my headlights they are much better. Still weak on the high beams though. I'll be changing out the bulbs shortly. Pretty damn dumb process to get to them though.

Otherwise , I really do love my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.