DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Broken Air Temp Sensor?

12K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  LeddMan 
#1 ·
I was installing my new cold air intake and I when I was removing the air temp sensor I broke the little plastic cage thing around the metal part. The metal part is still intact and the truck is running fine but I wasn't sure if it might have an adverse affect.

Also, if it needs to be replaced is that where you put in the 180 degree stat that everyone runs, and if so does it hurt your fuel mileage or anything?

#2 ·
Not 100% sure but I don't think you will have a problem with air temp sensor as long as it stays in the air intake tube. The 180deg stat people are referring to is the coolant thermostat. It's located where the upper rad hose enter's the water pump on the front of the engine

#3 ·
I have a Jet 180* thermostat and my mileage has not suffered. :smileup:

#4 · (Edited)
Zevox, search under MADDOG.. I believe he has a diy thread on how to change thermostat that I followed. Its very easy to do, but do a search or dont be afraid to ask. Sorry to hear about the AIT sensor. As long as it still seals up tight, I would think you should be fine.
edit: if you do decide to do the tstat swap.. heres one thread start with if you havent seen it yet http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60974&page=3
nice truck you have by the way!

#5 ·
won't be a problem at all. the earlier versions didn't have a plastic guard like the new ones do and i ended up breaking the sensor. you will slightly lose mileage with a 180 tstat...

#6 ·
Thanks everyone, I was only worried because it threw a code but I was checking my oil pressure and might have forgotten to plug the sensor back in before I started the truck >.>

Sidenote- Volant intakes are very cool and make a nice sound but the oil breather line(atleast I think that's what it is) that is provided isn't long enough and you have kinks in it. Yay modification!

#9 ·
Zevox,

I did the same thing when installing my k&n. Eventually I used a heat gun to loosen the grommet up a little, but I think I still did some damage to the sensor by breaking the plastic casing off the tip. Did you end up replacing it? And if so where did you get the replacement?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.