Redline on 46re trans

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  crg1987 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Does anyone here happen to
Know what the redline shift is on the 46re
Trans. Really been bugging me as I do not have
An rpm gauge. Thanks

#2 ·
5000 RPM is when it shifts if you are WOT. The maximum safe RPM you can put into the transmission is around 5000. You don't want to have to much higher of RPM like that at a constant rate as you risk blowing up the transmission. Usually the direct drum would be the culprit.

But during a WOT the engine will be running at 3000 RPM then rev up to 5000 and then the transmission will shift then the rpm will drop a little below 3000 then climb up to 5000 and shift again then the rpm will drop again a little below 3 and depending on the gear will climb up to 5000 and do another shift or will slowly climb to it's cruise RPM. It also depends if you have a lockup torque converter and if you're in over drive. When you have a lockup converter the engine will usually run 200-300 RPM less.

#4 ·
You don't want to do that on a stock transmission. You need, at minimum to install a valve body kit. Trans Go, Fairbanks, Superior, and B&M all make performance valve body kits that will set the transmissions up for proper performance shifting. TransGo and Fairbanks offer kits for different levels of use. Get the street/strip Level 2. I routinely ran a 727 Torqueflite, and now the A518(derived from the 727) to 6,000 rpm shift points with no breakage. I do have upgraded clutches, but the drums and other hardware are stock. It's not the rpm, it's the torque input that breaks parts. No way could a street Magnum spin high enough to sling parts. The guts for these transmissions go all the way back to the 440 Magnum, 426 Max Wedge, and 426 Hemi. Even though the stock clutch material is crap, the basic design is extremely robust. Anyway, the valve body kit will give you full manual control, while still allowing full auto when you put it in "D".

#5 ·
the shift points are based on how you have your TV cable adjusted.

your 1-2 shift does not shift the same rpms as the 2-3 shift. your 2-3 shifts at a lower rpm.

red line is a determined rpm set point in your pcm. the amount of HP put through your trans will have a greater affect over shift points. i don't see how shifting at a higher rpm will blow up your trans. as long as your trans has been serviced and in good condition you should be fine.

#6 ·
My transmission has the TransGo shift kit as well as upgraded clutches. I have mine chipped with a superchips tuner and my redline is at 5400 RPM. It shifts nice and firm at just under that. Anything higher than 5400 RPM and the power flattens out. It's a stock engine with a ram air intake and cat back exhaust. And the chip of course!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.