DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Gas Mileage

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  DodgeRamMan71 
#1 ·
Just looking for tips to improve my mileage. Wondering what people have found to have worked. Looking at doing simple things to try. Thinking of things like CAI or new exhaust. What about chips do they really work? Sorry about the dumb questions. Just trying to get as much info on all sorts of stuff to get the most out of my truck.

#5 ·
hey man can't pm you back as I do not have 25 posts

in MPG mixture of highway and city i average 9 MPG...though I tend to drive with a heavier foot...if i baby on highway 16 mpg...pretty much anything over 90km/hr it tanks the fuel back...this is all going by the over head display FYI

#7 ·
agreed gas mileage will be better as you drive the truck less aggressive

where my interest is actual increases in mileage which means driving the vehicle the same...love my truck and the power it has and will be doing things 1 at a time to see increases while driving the truck the same

should get exhaust in next week, new Magnaflow y pipe and 14" muffler

I will report back if it helps...next will be drop in k&n or CAI...and finally Superchip

hoping to net 2-3 mpg increase in the end but we will see!

Dan.

#8 ·
Dan sounds like your plans are what I am hoping to do as well do one at a time and see how it goes from there. Ye let me know how they go and if i get mine going I will let you know as well.

#9 ·
Ok I know it is a truck and mpg shouldn't be great but who out there is only getting 9-10 in the city? I know it is winter and all but just want to see if there are others out there getting around the same.

For my fellow Canadians it is 23.98l/100K

#13 ·
Unfortunately, I get 8.6 to 9.0 city. Have yet to try the hwy. (just got the truck 5 weeks ago)...'03 2500 Ram 4x4 5.7 ltr After getting answers to some of my other woes, I was going to start feeling around for knowledge on how to improve my mileage as well.

#14 ·
My mileage is getting better. A little very little highway but it is getting up to 12.5 on one tank then 11.7 with even less highway so it is starting to look up. I am not babying it either finding it needs to get out and have some fun and open it up like when merging onto the highway. I bought my truck from a used dealership so not sure how long they had it but could have been lots of short test drives and not getting to warm up and do a little work.

#15 ·
I have a true dual exhaust, 3 inch stainless steel with 4 inch tips coming out the back. Y-pipe was cut off. Major restrictions, take 2 2 1/2 pipes crush them into 1 3 inch pipe.
That is how castrated your Hemi is.

I also have a K & N CAI, tonneau cover. I get 21 mpg Hwy and 16 to 18 city and hwy driving. All calculated with a chart.

But its hard to stay off the skinny pedal when the truck is roaring at both ends. lol. But what throttle response.

Looking into a tuner or programmer now to get better MPG and power.

#16 ·
Yes I have to get the exhaust done. So you cut the Y out and went 2 pipes separately all the way? Also looking at tuners thing they would pay for themselves pretty quickly

#17 ·
If you do not have a tonneau cover, that is a good investment. I tested my Dakota with and without the tonneau cover and everytime I install it, I gain 1 mpg.

I've read numerous posts about people getting better gas mileage with a tuner. I also think there is merit in this and would recommend it.

A good CAI should help mpg as well. I'm partial to the Vararam because it makes sense. I've read quite a few posts about success with Volant and a few others as well.

Once all the above, I'd finish by making the exhaust breath better. The terrible Y pipe on our trucks would be one area for improvement. Any good cat back should be benefitial. I personally plan to do all the above in the near future.

#18 ·
Saving for Diablo Trinity for the tuner as for a tonneau not sure if I really like them anyway but may get one in the future.

CAI looking at Volant I have read lots of good posts on them

#19 ·
I have the MOPAR CAI on my 2010 RAM 5.7. I really love the sound and it seems to have gave it a bit more get up, not a lot. I am also planning on buying the Diablosport Intune for it. That is going to replace the preditor. It seems to be pretty sweet at least what I have read about it so far. Iy has been running at 389.00 on auto anything. I can not wait. It says up to 25 HP and 25 TQ.:4-dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.