DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Any luck with Green HIDS?

3K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Thebestestdrummer 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck with green HIDs? What brand? Cost?

Thanks

#4 ·
No Green HID's lol.. I have seen them before and they suck for light output . Headlights is one of the things where its better to be safe then drive around with a green light that is worst then stock.

6000k are real nice to have, had them since December and have saved from truckin into Bambi a few times... between 4000k-5000k is I believe pure white.. A lot of cars that come stock with HID's have that. My dads Caddy has them and they make everything clear.

#5 ·
If you feel adventurous, try picking up a set of the smoked projector headlights from ebay, bake them open, install a green LED ring or LEDs into the housing and seal it back up. This would give you green lighting when you want it, plus add a set of HIDs and you've got the best of both worlds.

#10 ·
Because green is awesome :smileup: I have the RGB halos in mine that I run green to match my paint job.

I might try that when i get some extra cash. Whats the best place to get led rings?

I have used AAC for all my halos. I've installed 5 different sets now, and the only set I ever had to replace from LEDs burning out was a set from Flashtech that I was trying when AAC's were on backorder for an expected 12months. My biggest tip is to use silicone to adhere them to whatever surface, not their supplied 3M tape or epoxy; the silicone allows some movement/shock and stays flexible at low temps.

#12 ·
You may have to buy a set and get the dimensions of the halo then see if they have a set in the diameter you want. This is how I've done my last 2 sets. They don't have a headlight assembly for the 2nd gen, but they can work with you on the ring size. They're a vendor on here, but it's faster to email them than get a reply via PM.

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/products-dodge-halokit.aspx

#14 ·
#18 ·
Like most "LED" lights those are just a couple of LED bulbs that shine onto a textured bar/ring, and they're not great. I much prefer to use SMD led rings/strips or see if they have plasma rings in the color you want.

Those halos would just pop out. They'll be in a recessed ring, so you'd just need to measure the inside and outside diameter to get the size you need. For my old fogs I could only get a ring set that was 1mm larger than what I needed, so I just trimmed the bezel down and nobody was the wiser.

The 3 LEDs in the top I would leave, but I'd look at getting a 4" pair of SMD strips and replacing that ugly bar at the top. If you wanted to get really adventurous, you could run a LED turn bulb and tap the SMD strip into the turn signal system to really make it stand out.

#19 ·
yeah that bar is gross... But i just spent about $100 on Green LEDS. So new headlights and more LEDs will have to wait. hahaha Thank you very much though. This will be what ill do when i get new headlights. which is pretty high on the to-do list.

#28 ·
No flashing halos on the old truck, but I did a lot of work upgrading the Anzo headlights I had after I went a winter with one working ccfl working. I never got into the HID issue with the high beams; I never wanted to potentially wait for a ballast to warm up, so I just ran halogens in my highs and they doubled as DRLs. The problem with DRLs is they run a lower voltage than the high circuit, which is why the ballast will surge and cause the flicker. I did run HIDs in my low beam and only ever had 1 ballast go out on me.

I hope you have a day job, we wouldn't want to see you starve :box:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.