DODGE RAM FORUM banner

DPF/CAT delete that retains the look.......

14K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Stangshcky12 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has done the DPF/CAT delete by gutting the stock units out, or somehow running a straight pipe through them. I'm hoping to find out how much trouble it is to do this. I want to delete them, but don't want to worry about passing the yearly safety inspection. They may never even notice, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

#2 ·
My suggestion - don't do it. There are many sensors up and down line of the cats that you'll have to deal with, better to get a good cat back exhaust and possibly get a set of headers to open things up legally. Just my 2¢ though.

#3 ·
A DPF has a high price tag. Personnaly I would say get the delete pipe and just swap it out once a year. I know it will be a pain, but if you ever had make everything functional you wont need to buy a new one. What programmer are you planing on using?

#4 ·
A DPF has a high price tag. Personnaly I would say get the delete pipe and just swap it out once a year. I know it will be a pain, but if you ever had make everything functional you wont need to buy a new one. What programmer are you planing on using?
If I did it that way, what would I do with the metal tubing and sensors that are attached to it? If I just gut the DPF and CAT, I could leave them just as they are, and when they visually inspect it, they don't know any different.
What reason were you thinking of, that I would want to make it functional again? Just curious.

I was looking at the H&S XRT PRO. It seems to have tunes for DPF installed and DPF delete. That way, I can do it in pieces when money was available. Tuner first, and enjoy the extra power. Then delete later, cause I'm not yet sure of what it will take to gut the two.

#5 ·
I didn't know if your truck was still within warranty. The other thinking was down the road when you might sell the vehicle. That is where I was going with making it functional down the road.

There are delete pipes that have the bungs so you can still mount the sensors back into the pipe. Sure it wont look the same as having the DPF installed, but it will give a visual having the sensors installed.

Out of curiosity I did some searching on other forms and came up empty on people gutting it out.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks MakeItCustom! You give me some things to think about. Yea, only have 7000 miles on it, so warranty has a long way to go.

I really don't have any reason for wanting to delete right now, other than that it may be better in the long run. Oh, and fuel prices. The truck runs great and seems to be very powerful for me. I'm wondering when the regen mode will start.

And thanks for looking around in other forums. I really appreciate the help. I'd give you a dozen reps, but it wont let me. LOL!

#7 ·
Formally known as MakeItCustom lol. I just did a name change

I don't know about the H&S tuner you were looking at, but the other 2 models they have allow you to disable the regen. They also have a mounting pod for there MaxxMini that goes over the rear view mirror. I will be installing mine in about a month and a half.

Glad I could help!

#9 ·
Formally known as MakeItCustom lol. I just did a name change

I don't know about the H&S tuner you were looking at, but the other 2 models they have allow you to disable the regen. They also have a mounting pod for there MaxxMini that goes over the rear view mirror. I will be installing mine in about a month and a half.

Glad I could help!
Almost got me with the name change. LOL!

The XRT PRO seems to have the basic things you need for tuning with DPF and DPF delete. It just doesn't have some of the extra features like digital guages and stuff. But it is $300 cheaper, and I don't want it mounted anywhere. I like a nice clean sleeper look.

Let me know how the install and tunes go with your truck. I'm really interested to hear what you think about it.

Thanks again.

#10 ·
If you plan on running a HP tune on your truck I recomend the digital gauges! Its actually nice to have it mounted to the windshield, its similar to a gps but smaller. Its really nice to be able to change settings on the fly. A couple of my friends have DSP on their cummins and it can be a pain switching tunes when your hauling a trailer and such

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.