DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Suspension Differences in two Ram 2500 CTDs

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  snowman44077 
#1 ·
Howdy!

I'm picking up a (new to me) 2003 Lance Lite 835 Truck Camper to put in my Ram tonight.

My question/concern is this: The previous owner had it in a 2003 Ram 2500 Quad Cab Long Box ST Cummins 4x4. I intend to put it in my 2006 Ram 2500 Quad Cab Long Box Laramie Cummins 4x4. The year and trim levels are the two differences. He added Firestone RideRite helper airbags to "stop it from swaying like a boat" as he put it.

Now, I know I have much wider tires (12.5 on mine). I also have 35's on mine, and his are 33's at best. Do I have any other suspension differences (additional sway bars, etc.) that will aid in the ride.

Yes, I'll know tonight how it rides. I just wonder if adding the airbags will truly help if my tuck is more equiped to carry it (if it's any better than his at all).

I did just put on SkyJacker Hydro 7000 shocks and my whole front suspension has been redone and is very tight.

Should I spend the $300 on the airbags?

Oh, the RV weighs 2,050 empty and is rated at 2,400 with fluids not including people and gear and whatever I'm towing.

As always, thanks for the input and have a great day!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I'd go with the airbags to 1) level the truck when it's loaded, and, 2) provide the additional stability and mitigate the side to side movement you'll get with a higher vehicle center of gravity.

But try it without first, of course, and see how it goes. In my experience, though, you will probably need the bags.

#4 ·
Since both trucks are 2500s with the same motor, my guess is there is not much difference, if at any, with the stock suspension. The GRAWR may be different given the difference in model years.

In any event, I tow a 5th wheeler that weighs in at about 22k lbs loaded. I hate to say this on this great forum but I do not use any of my Rams to tow it but rather I use a 2011 Silverado diesel 3500. I did add additional leaf springs and added Hellwig helper springs. As you can imagine, the truck rides smoother with a load than without given the suspension set-up but it rarely is driven without a heavy load. If I were you, I would get additional suspension support to help with load and sway control. You probably know this given your a Cummins guy but of course extra suspension does not increase the load your truck can take but does help control the weight.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Well, it's in. I have left it in there and driven to work for the last two days in an attempt to get used to it. First, the Cummins is so powerful it hardly notices the extra 2,400 lbs. Second, sway is minimal as is sag. It may have dropped 1/2" at most in the back. If I didn't have the leveling kit in front, it would be sitting perfectly level.

My biggest concern was the sway. I have driven many motorhomes, 5th wheels, box trucks, and so on, and this has really good manners considering the weight.

For now I'm not going to think I need the airbags. However, add 2,700 lbs of ATVs/Trailer behind her, and I think I may want them. We'll see!

Thanks again for all the input! Snowman :smileup:

#6 ·
Well, went ahead and got the Firestone RideRite (#2299) for my Ram. The kit was very to the point, easy to follow, and truly an "any guy with some wrenches can do it" type of a project. The hardest part was I started at 7:30pm and it was dark by 9, finishing by 9:30 so a bit was in the dark. Still wasn't hard.

I took them up to 30psi for the next couple of days (I know, way harder than I need unloaded) for the reason that I'm taking my Truck Camper 3 hours from home towing a trailer loaded to approx 3,500lbs. If the fittings are going to leak, I want to know before this weekend, not on the trip.

Here's some pics...

From an install standpoint, these things are incredible. SOO EASY! At 30psi they lifted the truck about 3 or 4 inches. On a side note, I noticed the bailing on the driver's bottom is crooked, and I'll fix that in the AM.

Thanks for the recommend on these. They were $248 shipped if anyone is interested!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.