DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Shorty headers for 2010 trucks

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've been looking around for headers for my truck. Problem is, I live in california, where messing with cats is a big no-no. I'm trying to find a good set of shorty headers for my truck, but I haven't had any luck. Is this because the companies haven't released headers for the 2010s yet, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

#2 ·
are the 09's the same engine? I would think that there would be shorty's developed for them. Might have to consider shorty's/mids myself (to replace lt's) and replace my gutted cats for when I get tested next year in Norcal..

#3 ·
To my knowledge the two years have identical engines...yeah I thought about buying some ARH long tubes (those are the only headers I've been able to find for 4G rams), but if you get caught messing with cats it can get real expensive real quick.

#4 ·
..you have to find that special muffler 'guy'. And i have, I told him what I wanted to do and he shrugged his shoulders an said 'OK'. All my truck buddies as well as other car forums go to him because it don't matter (at least to him)

#6 ·
#7 ·
USC Ram howdy from San Diego

there is very little difference in the '09 & 10 Rams, & the differences are the locking tailgate & the trailer brake controller, & the latest radio to come out the RPZ or whatever.
the only real change was the 3:21 rear end option

as to the california smog laws, you are correct, you can't delete or modify any smog component , except the intake & exhaust & that must be able to pass the smog tests, both visual & emission wise.
Now for the rest of the story, as Paul Winchell used to say :)
when you purchase a NEW vehicle, you don't have to get smog tested until when your 6th year of ownership comes up.
In other words, do what you want to the truck until such time as you get the notice to get a smog test & register your truck for year 6.
i wouldn't throw anything away, because you are going to need it again when smog time comes up, then pass smog, & change it back to your modifications for another 2 years, until smog test will be due again

I didn't type this, it was my dog, Honest

#8 ·
Haha no way I live out in east county like 45 min from san diego. I'm pretty familiar with all the bull that we have to put up with here lol. Because I live in a "rural" area, I dont have to get smog tested. What I am worried about is putting on long tube headers and getting pulled over or something...its probably not likely but its a big fine if youre caught. Have you tried running headers in SD?

#10 ·
The o2 sensor for the cats has NOTHING to do with the air/fuel ratio. There are o2s before the cats that do this.

You could get a CEL from removing the cats (and probably will). Ive checked with all the tuner manufacturers and none of them have an o2 delete. I dont believe there are spoofers out either. But, you could keep the o2 bung and try the anti-fouler trick. Get 2 spark plug anti-foulers, drill out one of them, screw them together, screw it into the o2 bung for the cat, then screw the o2 sensor into it. Works on quite a few cars (did on my old grand prix).

#13 ·
The o2 sensor for the cats has NOTHING to do with the air/fuel ratio. There are o2s before the cats that do this.
Exactly so what you should do is buy an off-road (no cats) h-pipe/x-pipe or y-pipe if you are going to a single mufler because it will come with bungs prewelded for the rear O2s. Then take your truck to a tuner and get him to turn off the rear sensors so your truck runs in a "closed loop". No check engines lights then.

All the good longtube kits (Kooks, ARH, Dynatech) will come with O2 bungs welded in.

#11 ·
USC Ram, i also live in the East County, El Cajonzone
I guess your up on the hill in Pine Valley area

maybe you should come off the hill & go to see the people near Prospect & Magnolia, Express Performance, almost under the new Hwy 67 & Hwy 52 interchange bridges, talk to the kid back in the corner by the offices, dark hair, about 5' 8", if anyone is modding exhaust for our Rams, he would know. If he isn't at his counter area, he is on the porcelain throne, damn mexican food LOL

I was up in your neck of the woods this morning, I had to meet a sailing yacht at the Golden Acorn at 7:30 am, it was going to Shelter Island

this was 2 snows ago

#12 ·
Why not get some long tube headers and then some high flow cats?? That would not mess with the emissions of your truck and you will be fine.

Check out Dynatech Headers. They make full kits that have headers and the cats and Y pipe. It is a full kit!

#16 ·
Good luck with the people at PG, i wanted to buy some things from them, they just stand there & talk to friends about what they did or are going to do on their days off, then they get on the phone & i waited for over 30 minutes to get noticed, i finally walked out.
I have spent less time getting a sales person from the shoe dept. at Walmart, they scatter like flies there, unless you are female wearing a short skirt

#17 ·
I really feel for all you Cali. Rammers and your inability to do the mods you want on your own property. It all started when Jerry was the Gov. you know. Anyway, I have a non-calif. compliant Ram that came that way from the dealer. "Not For Sale in California"
I want to put a set of Shorties on but can't find any for 09/10. When Zoomers was on our site, I even vol'd to let them use my truck if they wanted to come to Hawaii. I don't want to spend a fortune, like $1600 for a complete system. I don't see a need to get rid of the hi-flow cats that are already on and I am already running a cat-back system. "If it sounds to good to be true, it's SPINTECH". They are out of Riverside. If there is any header guys out there that need an 09/10 Ram to use for moch-up, the invitation is open to you too. I can even set you up with a shop owner that has a dyno and mandrel bender.

#19 ·
even tho i hate living in ny because i cant ride my quad damm man living in cal for cars and truck mod is bad. my friend got his turbo srt4 aken away from him there damm why dont u ship them to the next state and pick them up :)

#18 ·
are you looking for perofmance or soundS?

are the 09's the same engine? I would think that there would be shorty's developed for them. Might have to consider shorty's/mids myself (to replace lt's) and replace my gutted cats for when I get tested next year in Norcal..
YES chef they are teh same motors in almost all aspects

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.