DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Great performance upgrades!

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Bobcat06 
#1 ·
Well i have officially made my list of current and future performance mods and if anyone else is interested in beefing up their hemi but dont know where to start heres where i did.Truck not dyno'd but heres the claimed hp of each item and my opinion.

1.Volant CAI-claimed 22hp,deffinately noticable hp gain,throttle responce is much better and truck idles better.($249)
2.3" straight exhaust w.turndown from the y-pipe to just past the doors.Compliments the intake nicely.Sounds awesome and more air coming in means more going out.Hemi's love to breathe freely so if you like it loud this is the way to go.($40)
3.Throttle body spacer will be here tomorrow.Claims 8hp and 14lb ft of torque.we will see.($50)

Soon to come

4.Superchips Cortex programmer,claims massive hp and torque gains and obviousely the more performance mods you have the better gain you will receive.
5.E3 Diamond Fire spark plugs.Claims to increase hp up to 12%.Thats about the best bang for your buck imo seeing how they are only $5.99 each.I already have performance wires but i will be upgrading again with these new plugs.
6.Underdrive pulleys.Claim to increase up to 24% hp.I havent yet found a company that sells more than just the harmonic balancer underdrive pulley but this one alone claims up to 9hp increase.
7.Longtube headers claim to add upwards of 24hp
8.intake manifold,many many different options but usually running under $400 you can look foward to a 15-25hp gain.
9.Synthetic fluids,not only help protect your motor which is now producing more power but also add a slight increase itself.

**Please note,my list above and the hp increases listed with each item is only the "claimed" increases.I have not had these items on my car and dyno'd and im not saying these parts will or wont add the claimed amount of hp but i think its safe to say its close,but i would usually guess it would add under what the manufacturers numbers claim.That way you wont be let down if its not as signifigant as they say but then again if it is come dyno time it will be a pleasant suprise.lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
send the TB spacer back not going to add HP that clam is BS spend money on something else

#3 ·
I have to agree with racerram the TB is just going to give you a little whistle sound.

You seemd to have a good set up going there! Cant wait to hear about how you like the beast! You know your going to have to post some pics of each mod right?? haha.

That Volant kit is sweet, thats what I originaly wanted for my truck. You should look into getting the tube that goes from the fog light hole to the intake box. That should bring some more air in

#4 ·
5.E3 Diamond Fire spark plugs.Claims to increase hp up to 12%.Thats about the best bang for your buck imo seeing how they are only $5.99 each.I already have performance wires but i will be upgrading again with these new plugs.

6.Underdrive pulleys.Claim to increase up to 24% hp.I havent yet found a company that sells more than just the harmonic balancer underdrive pulley but this one alone claims up to 9hp increase.
Don't expect any performance increase from higher temp plugs, let alone 12%(that's BS). They DO NOT add HPs, they only have a more efficient burn in the chamber, which may result in a few HPs, ubt most common is a cleaner cylinder for longevity of the motor.

As for underdrive pulleys, documented off of a 2006 5.7L HEMI, a 20% underdrive pulley added 8HP and 7.5ft-lbs of torque; so claims of 24% is utterly unrealistic.

#5 ·
Thanks for pointing that out Cdnoil, I didnt even read that close haha. I agree with you 100%. Those gains are bogus haha

#6 ·
plus, if your gonna do modding, you want colder plugs for safety. don't forget an efan in the equation as well as a tq verter. And what options for intake manifolds are you looking at...no need to change that unless you doing heavy duty modding (cam an heads)..I haven't even considered upgrading intake manifold..

#10 ·
Most claims for HP are under strict test environments in a shop somewhere calibrated to a dino with specifics amounts of fuel, air temp, etc... etc...
Agreed, also you have to figure the claims are for engine power, those numbers will be cut down once you figure wheel horse power. I'm not sure about these trucks, but most cars you can figure a 20% drivetrain loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.