DODGE RAM FORUM banner

6th Gear

Tags
speed trans
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tjbiker031 
#1 ·
I just bought a used 06 Dodge Ram 1500 With a STD Trans. I noticed when i shift into 6th gear i loose speed even ehith the peddal to the floor. unless im goinbg 85 or better. What is 6th gear for if you have to be going 15-20 MPH over the limit to use it?

#3 ·
I realize this is a late reply, but I am relatively new to the forum. I own a 2008 Ram SXT Regular Cab 6 speed manual. I regularly use 6th when I have reached a cruising speed anywhere from 55 and up. My truck will accelerate from 55 mph up in 6th, but if I want to pass, I will simply downshift to 5th or 4th. I use 6th basically as an overdrive to help with gas mileage. I could see where your truck might lose speed going up an incline, or maybe because it is heavier than mine (possibly a crew cab). I hope otherwise your Ram is serving you well (mine is.)

#4 ·
You shouldnt have that severe of a loss of cruise in 6th. Obivously 6th is a cruising gear and you should have some accelleration availiable. I would look into why you have a loss of power....Do you have a pulsation or a miss while accelerating in 6th, or any gear? Might need a tune up......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.