DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HEMI vs F 150 ECO BOOST

97K views 512 replies 117 participants last post by  lbram81 
#1 ·
so i got a buddy whose asking me all these questions about my hemi enging in my 2011 ram and hes saying the ecoboost f150 destroys the hemi

Is this true or can i slap him

#367 ·
I'm not on the road a lot. So that doesn't help to find them.

I'll find one, someday when i'm alone in the truck. My girlfriend is pregnant, so i'm not racing with her in the truck and 90% of the time she's with me. Once our little girl is here, i won't race with her in the truck either.

I guess i'm ****ed :LOL:

#370 ·
Under the circumstances, you are making a very good decision. With a new family on the way, I'm guessing that you will probably think twice about racing, even when alone....I know I did when in that position. :)

#368 ·
Second Life...got under the hood pics of this turbo mod, I'm sure a turbo know it all like you would have some under hood turbo mod pics since you have pics of the car. But I doubt that very seriously because it most likely didn't happen. And how about some pics of this 12 sec car at the track and with time slips? I don't think you knew what a tuned up pipe was or what it's pupose was until I mentioned it. All of a sudden that's the first on the list of all you had for mods. dude...if you think 18 lbs is not much try that on the EB. And what's the CR on this car that you boosted to 18 lbs...I know because I looked it up but lets hear it from you and I'll tell you why your full of crap. You started this back up again by running ur mouth when I said that the EB would get less mileage and have a hotter CC after the tune. When you add boost you have to add fuel when you add fuel you raise the CC temps...get it through ur stubborn head. You should know that from what you said you did with ur pooproo!!! When you add fuel you loose fuel milage...period!!! As in when you go from a 650 cfm carb to a 780 you loose fuel milage!!! You chose to compare a low CR turbo poopru to a high compression EB. The difference between the two is night and day and if you don't know that then you don't know forced induction like you claim and your 12 mod is BS!!!

#372 · (Edited)
Ok that's the last time i'm talking to you. Since you can't read and can't remember who said what...

First of all, i said my car went from 14.2@98mph to 13@104.3mph. There's no 12 seconds car here.

The 12 seconds thing you're refering to was my 0-100 mph time, not my 1/4 mile time.

Garner is the one that told you there's no such thing has an up pipe.

I
told you turbo lag doesn't come from the boost, but from the turbo size, intercooler size, pipping lenght...

The Subaru Legacy GT have a 8.2:1 CR ratio.

Here's the picture you wanted, engine bay picture. Oh wait you can't see much, since everything is behind the engine close to the firewall. All you see is the K&N Typhoon intake i had.

As for time slip picture, i don't have them, because i sold the car 4 years ago and i don't keep them after i sell my car.There's no point in keeping them.

Like i said, normal driving i got better fuel economy on the highway with my modification.In the city it was the same as stock. If i was driving the car like i stole it, i was getting worse fuel economy and that's normal.

Ok that's the last time i'm talking to you. Since you can't read and can't remember who said what...

#373 ·
Yupp. Track tech guy didn't even look at the id/permit or anything. All you did was fill out a card with name, year and make of vehicle you're racing, put down dl number(i put down permit number with the genesis when I was 15, I went once in the genesis when I was 16 which was the week before I traded it), and sign; and then hand it to the guy and he would write a number on your car. Now all you do is sign a waiver at the entrance; fill out a card with your name, year and make of the car you're racing, and sign that card; and then you hand the card to a guy while you're in the staging lanes and he writes the number on your car. Wish I had some slips but they were in the glovebox when I traded it in along with my sunglasses. :doh: on my part lol

#371 ·
high c/r engines with forced induction is pretty normal these days. with all the advancements in PCM processors, high pressure (50+ psi) fuel systems, piezio injectors, factory installed knock sensors and some vehicles O2 sensors are also wideband vs the less accurate narrow band. all this tech allows PCMs to monitor and make split second a/f changes to prevent detonation.

if the EB can run 14 psi on 87 octane then running 18 psi on a 93 octane tune would be no sweat. you def add fuel when you add boost to keep the a/f in check but where the F/I engines are seeing their good mileage is when they are being operated in vacuum. If the EB has a vacuum/boost guage installed the driver can easily manipulate this condition with throttle position and since the motor has a high c/r (10.5:1) it still responds well when not using boost. a lower c/r (like 8.5:1) would be more sluggish when not being boosted.

#377 ·
exactly...adding oxygen increases temps and the fuel is there to cool it. a good example is nitrous (NO2). it adds so much power b/c you are injecting extra oxygen...then you have to add extra fuel to cool the combustion chamber to prevent burning up the pistons.

#380 · (Edited)
If you go back further in this thread my you will see that I stating air/fuel raises the temps. You said so yourself which I agree to, the pcm/electronics will automatically adjust the air /fuel mixture and it will. Therefore when you add fuel to the EB, the elctronics will automatically adjust the air/fuel mixture. Same goes for the boost controller because it is electronic and not a manual though you can add a manual BC to it. I am well aware that without enough oxygen the fuel can't burn. Therefore being an elctronic system, you can not add fuel without the pcm picking up on it and split second adjusting the air/fuel mixture...the pcm is faster than we are. Therfore, when you add fuel to the EB, there is not enough room/space in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel. (that's been my point) It would be a different ball game if this were a carburated engine, because you would have to adjust the air/fuel mixture yourself. If so, these dumbies who haven't ever gotten their hands dirty with their cars wouldn't know what to do with it. Same goes for high compression carb engines, you can screw up pretty easily when you run your car with the wrong air/fuel mixture making it harder to ignite it. Especially borderline 10.75 to 11.75:1 where you are runing an engine that can use both pump/race gas.EDIT:I forgot the most important part...When you add boost, you have to add fuel...that being said, how much boost can you add to the EB? That has been my point to this crap the whole time! My opinion all along has been that it is pegged at 14lbs, so to these other yahoos (not you chevykilla) on here trying to throw me in a cross....What in the F... is so stupid about that?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

#378 ·
Well at least motor trend did pick the right truck for the "Truck Of The Year" for 2011!!! They just had an article on all 4 of the F-150's right now. 3.7V6 which did fairly well, 3.5L Ecoboost, 5.0 V8 (mustang motor) and the 6.2 in the Harley Davidson edition. The trucks did really well and they said the ecoboost had a lot of low end power (gee imagine that) and that they were impressed by the new lineup. Nothing wrong with saying a good truck is a good truck. They have some pretty cool little concepts like the tailgate step which I wish RAM would do.

Ver Batim, this was the closing line of the article; "The Ecoboost has the potential for providing decent fuel economy plus plenty of towing capacity - just not necessarily at the same time. When it comes to fuel economy, those who tow frequently may prefer the V8's but buyers who are looking for a daily driver and only occasionally tow, the Ecoboost is as Febbo aptly stated, 'the game changer for trucks'. If they can get enough people in them they will have converts left and right."

Interesting article, and they did the Dodge 2500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel also. They raved about the constant power, the amazing interior comfort, room, and usability. Only issue they had was they said it was too tall! LOL. I laughed so they installed a 500 dollar step for the sides so people could get in easier. I laugh because I use mine off road and I want all the body clearance I can get so it just cracks me up that people want to add something that will lose them clearance when off-roading, however in their defense, not many people are gonna be out mobbing a diesel laramie. It got great marks by everyone and they wished they could have kept it longer term, got great gas mileage and said it was the best 40k they could spend on ANY diesel truck which was pretty good. I know this was an EcoBoost Vs. Hemi thread but I wanted to throw this in there too as it was a good article. Back of the Sept edition of Motor Trend.

#383 ·
Wow, this thread should just get locked down. Resorting to name calling, childish behavior and "I know more than you" mentality. Pretty childish and petty.

#389 ·
CHVYKLR....I don't think Chrysler will ever catch up with Ford forced induction builds for the simple reason of funds. Chrysler has been in a slump for quite some time, proof is in the rolling (if you will) encryptions in their 2011 PCM's. They simply can't afford the warranty frauds like Ford can...so they say and I kind of beleive them. By the time Chrysler does have the funds, we'll all be driving around in electric/methane cars. I don't think the V8 muscle builds will last another five years before it become a world fuel shortage/$$$$ per gallon issue and then again become a thing of the past. :(

#390 ·
Never thought about it from that angle...and unfortunately you might be on to something.

Here is a really great read on the new 5.0. I know it's a Ford magazine site so don't flame me. I hoping to find a similar article on the EB. Point being, if the EB is built like the 5.0 it will probably hold up IMHO. The pistons have dedicated oil cooling jets! The article does speculate that the connecting rods won't hold up to F/I which they have been so far. It's only been out a year or so and I think there are already 10-12 supercharger & turbo kits out the the Coyote. I want that kind of aftermarket support for the HEMI!
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/viewall.html

#393 · (Edited)
I'll keep you informed. As for now we have to wait for the 12 2500's to hit the floor full fledged and or the trannys to hit the parts numbers in their books. My dealer told me once it hits the books they can order it. They don't have the price yet but it should be close to the 545RFE at around 4k. The 3.23 first gear will lower your ring/pinion by .23 If you have a 3.92, it would be equal to a 4.15 launch with the rest spread out closer and less loss of power/rpms when shifting. This would definately lower your ET's and trap speed. edit I forgot, I'm throwing my lifetime warranty out the window with the crate motor and I don't know how just the tranny will affect yours. My dealer is going to do their best with both warranty and tunes help. They're actually almost as excited about it as I am.

#394 ·
Radio Flyer what would be the ratio with the 66rfe, 4.10 gears, and 17s instead of the 22s R/T come with?

#395 ·
We also need to watch out for the flex ecoboost. A guy I know just took his wife's stock one and it ran a best of 14.236 @97.87 mph in 863 DA

#399 ·
I just bought my 2011 ram 1500 laramie loaded to the tits last friday. Anyways i traded my 2007 ram in for it because of a few issues but primarily a front end squeak for the life of me could not get rid of it....

I almost bought an ecoboost but the price difference was insane what you got for your money compared to dodge. The original payments i was estimated for the ecoboost was $4 less bi-weekly than the dodge and had half the options. And we all know the estimate is always lower then the actual once u get financed by a small amount unless ur credit sucks.

I will admit the ecoboost is very impressive off the line and the fuel economy is better, but like others have said who knows how long it will last in real world treatment. I know the ford videos are impressive but are obviously favored towards Ford. And where i live dependability is a must because it can hit -40 celcius with windchill sometimes or as hot as + 30 in summer. And honestly new 2011 RAMS fuel economy is much better than my old 2007.

I dont know bout rest of ppl looking into ecoboost but price says all i got way more for my money with dodge and lets be honest i dodge owns all in looks IMO. Only reason i considered a ford was for the ecoboost and i was so pissed at my old dodge i did consider a ford.

End of the day dodge makes one hell of a truck.

#402 ·
I looked at the EcoBoost, but went with Hemi

So before I bought my 2011 Ram Sport 5.7l, I looked at Chev/GMC, Ford and Toyota. I watched all the Ford Ecoboost Propoganda and it all sounds great. Ram was best Truck for the money by far.

In 4 years when I trade, I will do the same investigation and Dodge will probably have some kind of hippie v3 burning french fry oil and running a turbo charger made of hemp.

We will see how the new turbos (huge rpm increases over old turbos) stand up to the test...plus Ford needs to surround that engine with a nicer truck before I buy one.

My fleet manager bought a 2011 Ram Bighorn, and he is a huge Chev Man and a mechanic for 30 years. I followed with the Ram Sport the following week.

#403 ·
We will see how the new turbos (huge rpm increases over old turbos) stand up to the test...plus Ford needs to surround that engine with a nicer truck before I buy one.
That's the bottom line right there!

My fleet manager bought a 2011 Ram Bighorn, and he is a huge Chev Man and a mechanic for 30 years. I followed with the Ram Sport the following week.
I'm also a GM guy, but the ram's are without a doubt the best truck for the money. I originally was looking at v8 quad cab colorados....they were the same friggin price as the quad cab rams! lol.

#404 ·
I had a 1992 eagle talon that was turbocharged it was great when the turbo was working but it put so much stress on the engine i kept breaking timing belts and then it would bend the valves.The mechanic at the jeep eagle dealer even told me when an engine has a turbo it puts so much extra stress on the internal engine parts that it is gonna break sooner or later.So Almighty Ford decided to put twin turbos on a v6 built Ford Tough.lol.Wait till you see these guys bitching about what it cost to fix there truck when it isn't running right.Ford couldn't even keep turbo's running right in there diesels and that was only one turbo.Now they have 2 i can't wait to see how many buyback they get.lol

#406 ·
+1. Not all FI motors grenade and blow up. I know guys that have supercharged(x charger) 4.0 mustangs with over 120,000 miles on them(those miles are with the supercharger) and haven't had to fix anything on the motor. Only the normal maintenance like plugs, oil, etc. It's just a matter of how you take care of it and treat it. Drive it like hell and don't take care of it, any motor is gonna mess up on you even the "lifetime" honda motors. Take care of it even if you do drive it like hell and it'll last for you

#408 ·
good to see some informed comments here.
Yes, an engine designed to be boosted, and built to stand it from the get-go, will last as long as any engine-aviation has been using turbos and sc for decades, and the safety/reliability standards far exceed anything a truck would need to have.
Engines designed for natural aspiration, that are then boosted, don't stand up as well in most cases.
The eco boost almost ended up in my yard-went with the ram more due to price than anything else, and am very happy with my truck, but am pretty sure I'd say the same of the ford-except that it is a new engine, and it is unfamiliar territory for me, and I really didn't feel comfortable with the idea of being the guinea pig (and for some reason I don't find them ugly, and prefer the ride/handling over the ram-feels tighter and more in control).

#416 · (Edited)
I wasn't talking about me. I was talking about the people that have bought an ecoboost. Go on challenger talk and you'll see guys that want dodge to allow them to sign a waiver saying their warranty is void if dodge unlocks the ecu. There's people on here doing heads and cams when they have lifetime warranties. There's the same group of people in the chevy camp, and the ford camp. There's the same group of people in every brand's buyers

#421 ·
having driven both, the eco boost is quick, however still feels and sounds like a 6 cylinder motor. I can't believe over the long haul the 6 will be nearly as reliable. The turbo's spin at 205,000 rpm ao aomething is bound to break...
Seriously! :SHOCKED: I would have never got this question right on a test. Had anyone asked me, I'd have 'guessed' 30,000+, but would never have guessed 6 digit speeds. :wow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.