DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2nd Gen Snorkel??

10K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  double0ram 
#1 ·
Im in the process of making a Snorkel for my 01 Ram.... Im using an old Intake Tube from a Dodge Dakota but i have a Pretty big hole on the side of the tube...... How would i Patch or Plug this hole?????/

I dont want to use somthing else cuz this has the perfect shape and sie for the snorkel i want to make.......

Here is a few pics of where i want it to go and the size of the hole

See less See more
#2 ·
You could use RTV Silicone, or you can get a similar plastic piece, cut it too large for the hole, take a torch and a metal rod (like a coat hanger), heat up the rod and melt the plastic together...effectively welding the patch to the tube.

RTV is probably easier, but may not be permanent, and probably wont stand up to the punishment it looks like that truck takes on a regular basis.

#3 ·
Thats actually a great idea!!!!! Cant believe i never thought of that. Thanks!!!!!! and the truck doesnt get beaten too often i just never usually Clean it (too Lazy) haha

#4 ·
the truck doesnt get beaten too often i just never usually Clean it (too Lazy) haha
.... really... because it looks like you beat the crap out of it lol All the lines (possibly scratches) running down the flat black paint, missing antenna, missing top of your dash, and the mirror looks like it went through war :LOL:

Id say it's a well worn off-road machine :D

#5 ·
Actually the antenna and Dash were gone when i bought the truck and the Lines are scratches from the first time it was taken out Trail riding the trails were to narrow and its only been out one other time and i only payed $500 for it so its all good... and i plan on getting a Paint job in the NEAR future

#8 ·
alright i have the basics but im not sure how im supposed to put a filter on it and then actually Fasten it to the TB... Any Suggestions or ideas???? I will take pics in the morning

#9 · (Edited)
#13 ·
im not looking for making my truck Completly water tight i just dont like the fact that whenever i go out mudding with my friends ifi hit deep enough water it stalls cuz the stock airbox isnt to great at keeping water out...... i will see if the Standars have the water problem and i will upload more pics as soon as i can get started on it.... Cuz its been raining all day for the past few weeks now

#15 ·
You can run it as stated, but I would RTV my airbox closed and un-seal/re-seal at every filter change. Also get something like a K&N drop in, that way if you do soak the filter, you arent buying a new one, just cleaning it.

Your standard transmission/transfer case in the 4x4 model is good to Ford up to 36 inches of water. If you want to go more you will need to find the vent tubes and extend them. I ran mine up the back of the cab between the bed and the cab wall. This way I can go all the way up to my intake without worrying about water in the transmission/transfer case. Neat fact--your axle vent tubes are already high enough--the are mounted to your firewall or front fender wells and come up 6" above the stock intake.

#17 ·
Double0--on a 2nd gen your axle tubes should have already been run up the firewall in the engine compartment. My dads '00 sport had it, but maybe it was a sport thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.