DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How to start your Ram with your finger

9K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  ArmyofOne 
#1 ·
I was going to post this in a thread on 4.7l forum as a response but it applies to all gen 4 rams (I think).

You can start your truck by holding the key flush against the ignition and turning the switch with your finger. Just to prove this wasent some sort of gimmick with someone offscreen using a remote start unit or something I put it in drive and pull forward so you can see the engine doesnt just cut back out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEiIL1Q9DKI

#3 ·
i dont know if thats a good thing or not but nice find

#5 ·
It's also good if you have an ST like mine and don't have remote locks. I can start the engine that way and leave it running but lock the doors behind me. Good for warming on the truck on cold mornings or if I need to run in to work and my wife wanted to wait in the truck with the heat on but I need to take the keys.

#7 ·
Thats pretty cool.

#11 ·
if you look at the end of your FOBIK ( FOB ), it is nothing but a flat surface that pushes a little tab inside the ignition, that little tab can be pushed in with your finger or just about anything blunt
I assume that when the little tab is pushed in, the electronics start searching for the chip that is located in back of the battery within the FOB, if the chip in the FOB is close enough to the ignition, it reads the ID on the chip & starts the vehicle

not too long ago, some ignitions were faulty & that little TAB was breaking off in them, so that the vehicle had to be started with the Remote Start function of the FOBs, this method worked UNTIL you mistakenly used both remote starts, about 10 to 15 minutes each & you couldn't start it again until the FOB was put it the ignition to push that Tab again
I can't take my vehicle out of Park, without the FOB being inserted into the switch, i guess it is a safety/anti theft feature

#12 · (Edited)
if you look at the end of your FOBIK ( FOB ), it is nothing but a flat surface that pushes a little tab inside the ignition, that little tab can be pushed in with your finger or just about anything blunt
I assume that when the little tab is pushed in, the electronics start searching for the chip that is located in back of the battery within the FOB, if the chip in the FOB is close enough to the ignition, it reads the ID on the chip & starts the vehicle

not too long ago, some ignitions were faulty & that little TAB was breaking off in them, so that the vehicle had to be started with the Remote Start function of the FOBs, this method worked UNTIL you mistakenly used both remote starts, about 10 to 15 minutes each & you couldn't start it again until the FOB was put it the ignition to push that Tab again
I can't take my vehicle out of Park, without the FOB being inserted into the switch, i guess it is a safety/anti theft feature
The ST doesn't have a fob. I have no power lock or remote anything. I have a physical key with the same base as your FOBIK has but with a traditional metal key shaft sticking out of it.

When you say you can't take the vehicle out of park without the fob inserted into the switch, is this when you remote start the vehichle? I would hypothsize it isent the actual fob that needs to be inserted but rather that the switch needed to placed in the on position using a properly id's fob to prevent theft of a remote started vehichle. In my
video you can see that even without the key in the ignition I am able to take it out of park and pull forward.

#15 ·
That's pretty interesting. Does it stay running if you leave the truck with the key, I'm curious what the range would be. I can't imagine someone would be able to drive off without the key in the truck. At least I would hope not.

#17 ·
I was going to post this in a thread on 4.7l forum as a response but it applies to all gen 4 rams (I think).

You can start your truck by holding the key flush against the ignition and turning the switch with your finger. Just to prove this wasent some sort of gimmick with someone offscreen using a remote start unit or something I put it in drive and pull forward so you can see the engine doesnt just cut back out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEiIL1Q9DKI[/QUOTE

You need to change your oil. :LOL:

Reactions: City Slicker
#18 ·
Lol. I know. That was the first start that light came on. Just luck it's while I'm filming. I wondered how long it would take someone to notice.

#20 ·
i tried this but it wouldnt work on mine

#21 ·
Now that's interesting. I wonder what the difference is? I have to hold mine so the bottom of the fob part is almost leaning into the top of the depression around the switch. I can't think of another reason, but of course there may be other differences since mine is an ST.

#22 ·
Funny thing is, the change oil light is the first thing I saw. Must be habit from owning beaters in the past. Eyes look to see what is wrong before anything else, LOL. Lately it's the "change washer fluid" light." I love that it gives you advance warning, but not that it keeps doing it when you know it needs it, but still do have that reserve still left.

#24 ·
DOES NOT WORK on the 4th gen rams above ST trim level. Sorry guys, guess our trucks are too smart. :LOL:

#25 ·
Armyofone is correct, will not work. EVIC says faulty key!

#27 ·
Exactly. Says "Damaged Key" On the EVIC. LOL. It was funny to try though. I thought I broke my truck. I just sat there in a puddle of my own shit wondering how much a new ignition switch for this beast was going to cost. Then I stuck the key in and started the truck. LOL.
Interesting - never thought to look into that function for the key. Or my finger.
Me either. My finger has been alot of places but...OH MY GOD!!!:SHOCKED:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.