DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Truck Suddenly Brakes hard!

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Miklo153 
#1 ·
I was driving my 2009 Ram 4x4 down the freeway one day and all of a sudden it felt like the brake was hit really hard. It scared the crap out of me, I had thought I hit the brake by accident, but then it happened a second time a couple of weeks later.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, what do you know about it. I am not sure if it was my engine doing something to make it suddenly do that or something else.

Anything will help.

Thanks

#2 ·
:icon_bump:I have never heard of that. Here's a bump -:icon_bump:

#3 ·
I must ask, was there a semi truck or police car anywhere close to you when it happened

the biggest problem with the ABS braking systems in the early stages, was someone keying down a microphone & it caused brakes to lock up

#4 ·
could it possibly be he's experiencing a little bit of engine braking?

One of the things my wife pointed out about my truck was that it'll doownshift while slowing, using a lil bit of engine braking

I'm probably wrong, but it's something to consider

good luck

Exco

#6 ·
No I dont remember there being a semi truck or cop around. Also, I was not down shifting, I was going 70-75 down the freeway.

Do you guys think it could be a transmission problem? Or maybe something with the cold air intake?

Im still trying to do more research on this issue.

#7 ·
My guess would be either transmission or rear end. Either way you should get it looked at. You wouldn't want it to happen in the rain. You might loose control and that wont be good.

#8 ·
he has a 4X4
I would tend to believe it has to do with brakes or bearings

in my town there is a brake & alignment shop, they specialize in 4X4 vehicles
they have accounts with the Sheriff Dept. & Border Patrol, so you know they do good work.

They do free inspections & give you a read out of what they find, maybe you have a similar shop near you

#11 ·
I notice the the RPM did decrease, but thats because of the sudden braking. And the engine light was not on.

I dont think that the engine cut out. It just happened real quickly, then went back to normal. Im thinking that its the transmission. Its shifts hard when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. now. Gonna be taking it to the dealer soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.