DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Krown Rust-proofed today!

11K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  88954 
#1 ·
For those wondering what rust-proofing method to go for with your "baby", I had my truck done today at Krown. Very very professionally done, it took about 2 hours and I had my truck, all in at $158. For those that may cringe about drilling holes for the application, rest assured it is very safe and harmless, they apply a special paste after the application around the hole and finish with a plug that in my opinion looks like it has always been there from the factory. They pressure mist into every nook and cranny through the access holes, then they hoist the vehicle and the whole under-side of the vehicle is done. For me I waived the factory under-coat and rust-proofing from the dealer, they wanted a whopping $900 bucks! This was 6 times cheaper and to me was done much more thorough. Now I'm good for a year, and if you Krown every year you have life-time warranty against corrosion. When I came to pick up my vehicle it was spit and polished to boot. They also had a special at no cost called Aqua-tec for the windshield. Everything done not a moment too soon, they were going hog-wild with salting the highways today. Here are some pics of application holes: Vehicle door Rim Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system

Vehicle door Wheel Rim Tire Automotive exterior

Rim Tire Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel

Vehicle door Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Luxury vehicle

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Fender Vehicle

See less See more
#14 ·
i do Krown annually too...although, im getting mine done in Niagara falls for 119.

i did a 96 every year and it was rust free when i sold it last year...that should say it all to anyone who doesnt think it doesnt work...

#3 ·
I had the under body of my truck sprayed at the dealership for $390.. I was told the coating would protect my truck for 5 years or more. Why would you have this done at Krown every year for $158?? Sounds a bit expensive to me. One under coating application, a quality spray in liner and a few under body washes during the winter should prevent any rust.. Just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
Just to clear the air, I read my last comment after I wrote it, this wasn't aimed at you personally, more towards I suppose your dealer. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't need any attention for 5 years, I declined the offer on my truck based on experience with my last truck, I was told it was "spray it once and forget about it", well after 2 years of owning it I started paying more and more attention to the fact they actually missed a lot of spots under my truck, I would periodically inspect it crawling under it from time to time. There wasn't any rust but I also couldn't see how they possibly could rust proof the inside of the doors, inside the rockers, inside the middle post, inside the rear fenders by removing the tail lamps and inside the tailgate like I know Krown does without pilot holes. It may be $158 bucks a year but I know full well that it is ten times more thorough and if it's redundant to a degree, at least I won't cringe every time I pass a salt truck dumping straight rock salt down the center of the highway.

#5 ·
I think anybody that really knew anything about what "really" works in rust protection would know that you would have to do applications more frequent than every 5 years. IMO

#7 ·
At this time, oil spray is not suppose to be done in the States

I forgot when i was in the Toronto area almost every July to get my Ram sprayed with Krown, i seem to have to much fun up there to think about rust proofing

#9 ·
That is what i mentioned last week, going to talk to the Sales Manager about better prices

Tell the salesman to buzz the manager & have them come out & tell you directly
It is all a lie, just like in the video

#10 ·
rust proof

Well I got talked into the :hah:dealer rustproofing,normally just ignore the extra's but it sounded good.$599. full lifetime warranty any problems just take it in,plus it's transferable if I get rid of the truck.On a white truck the rust will be noticeable .I normally get a aftermarket rustproofing done but found it a hassle taking it back every year,with the dealer he said it was a one time application. Time will tell I guess.

#11 ·
Anyone living in, and north of, the salt belt should be aware that a yearly rustproof application is the only way to go... Not only for year-round body protection, but also whenever you need to perform mechanical work on the vehicle. The chance of being stuck with seized-up bolts & fasteners is greatly reduced with proper lubrification, and rustproofing does help in this department. Yes, it's a "bit" more dirty to work on but what do you expect?

As for preferred service provider, I agree with the choice of Krown. I have had all my vehicles treated with Krown for the last 10 years and their stuff and method is the best, period. I have tried numerous other rustproof techniques, from Metropolitan to Bob's corner garage, and none gave me the assurance and satisfaction of a well-applied and proven product...

Look at it as a long-term investment. I intend to treat my 2013 1500 with Krown (once I get my bl... truck, just ordered way back in November, BTW :i_rolleyes:)

#12 ·
Right on, good post, I suppose I should have added that point of which living in Ontario is just brutal for salting (over-salting) for that matter, it's a shame really. Rust proofing is your only defense.

#13 ·
Today I got four spray cans of undercoat on sale at Advance Auto and sprayed the underside of my 2013 Quad Hemi Express. I didn't do that on my 2008 or 2010. I will likely trade it before the body rusts. In my younger days in New England I paid lots of money for Tuffcoat and other undercoat service which are all gone. Too many loop holes in the warranty and additional extra charges (and inspections) to keep the warranty valid. Sprayed the bottom to make me feel better. The truck is so tall with those 20" tires I did not need to jack it up

#17 ·
Areas you sprayed

Today I got four spray cans of undercoat on sale at Advance Auto and sprayed the underside of my 2013 Quad Hemi Express. I didn't do that on my 2008 or 2010. I will likely trade it before the body rusts. In my younger days in New England I paid lots of money for Tuffcoat and other undercoat service which are all gone. Too many loop holes in the warranty and additional extra charges (and inspections) to keep the warranty valid. Sprayed the bottom to make me feel better. The truck is so tall with those 20" tires I did not need to jack it up
Could you tell me the areas you really concentrated on when you sprayed the undercoating on? And what areas did you stay away from? I'm a new first time truck owner. Thank you

#15 ·
My 08 Ram was the first vehicle that I did not get Krowned, or any other protection for that matter. All 4 doors have rust along the bottom and back seams. The 13 will be getting done every fall. Although the way things seem to be going it may not be here before next spring anyways.

#19 ·
I suppose it would depend on whether you plan on keeping your truck or not, I would think looking where they sprayed mine, if you had any rust unforseen, it may completely slow that process. My truck has been home for a couple of days after I got it done and this stuff really adheres to everything underneath even with the melting lately and spray from the road right now, if it sticks that good it will certainly do well in hidden spots that aren't exposed to anything trying to remove it.

#24 ·
Oil spray rust proofing is the way to go.. I had mine sprayed before winter and gonna get I done every year..

#25 ·
This is an example why there was no question about rust-proofing at Krown. This was a couple days before my new truck.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Pickup truck

:SHOCKED::SHOCKED:

#35 ·
It doesn't look to bad, I have only had mine sprayed once but I'm sure after a few years it will build up and collect more dust.
With that in mind though I will use a degreaser if I need to work on anything and I can pick up touch up cans of Krown at Canadian Tire.
Someone else questioned dripping on driveways and I didn't have any.

#32 ·
undercoat

I got taken at Barren Wis steelership paid for undercoat and got 3m rattle can job, which was incomplete. I ended up buying more of the product and redoing it myself,after they attempted 2 times. I read up on fluid film and bought several cans and jug of fluid film grease. Last fall i pulled the tail gate apart , pulled the rocker plugs and sprayed in over the rear fender liners. Plan on doing 1 or 2 times a year . The door panels i have not sprayed,don,t know if i can get in there with out panel removal. Anything extra a guy does has to help:smileup:

#36 ·
Mine started dripping a bit in the spring as I had it done end of November. It doesn't stain your driveway one bit. Now getting on you clothes is different, always were old clothes when I crawl underneath:doh::LOL:

#37 ·
My truck is on order, dealer wants $700 for lifetime protection and its transferable. They said they spray a non drip amber fluid on all inside panels and also treat frame. Dealer says if there is a rust spot on frame bring it in and it will be repaired no charge.

I have sprayed cars with fluid film in past, can be messy but no rust.

I have bought 5 gal of undercoating fluid, not convinced.

I can go to Krown, is it really better than Chrysler Master shield system? dont care about cost, whats best?

#40 ·
If you go with the dealer, make sure you read the fine prints. There may be some compulsory annual inspection cost involved. As far as I'm concerned, Krown will probably be my choice this fall. It is recommended by the Automobile Protection Association (APA). :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.