DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Detailing routines

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  uktitus 
#1 ·
I searched the forum and have found numerous threads on what members use and how often the wash/ wax their Rams, but nothing that specific when it comes to routines.

How do you do what you do??

I wash my truck a few times a month, but some the trucks on here look amazing..... What are your secrets??

#2 ·
I usually wash mine every 2 to 3 weeks. I then dry it and spray it down with mothers quick detail spray. Every few months i will apply klasse sealant.

#3 ·
Wash mine once or twice a year, with about a cup or two of murphys oil soap mixed with cheap walmart car wash stuff mixed with water. Use the "two bucket method" to keep the water clean. Try to wax once a year as well, usually whatever I have on the shelf(cheap products) but I figure it's better than nothing. I wipe down/clean and vacuum the interior about once a year. Then I just drive it :)

#22 ·
what is the murphy's used for??...must admit i never heard of it mixed with car wash.

also for you guys using the 2 bucket methods, grab something called a grit guard. it will keep the dirt at the bottom of the bucket and wont allow your wash mit/sponge to come in contact with the stuff at the bottom of the bucket.

also i must agree with pull ya. wolfgang stuff is up there.

ive recently got my hands on some adams products (not polishes or waxes, just other cleaners/dressings) and must say they are at the bottom of the list for me as far as durability and appearance go. ive seen trucks guys exclusively use Adams on, but ive had no luck myself. for the money, there are other great products out there that wont break the bank.

#4 ·
Whats this 'two bucket method'? I hate how the water gets all nasty while I'm still rubbing on the paint....

#5 ·
Have one bucket with just water and one bucket with soap/water. Dip the sponge in the soap/water, wipe the truck, then dip the sponge in the plain water and wring it out, then dip back into the soap/water. Keeps the soap/water bucket clean the whole wash. And you can dump and refill the dirty bucket as needed.

#10 ·
I wash mine at least once a week (it's black :doh:). Kudos to snrusnak for the two bucket method. I started doing this a while ago and the results are excellent. I also use a porter cable polisher once a year with the orange pad and Menzerna one step polish / wax. I think the results speak for themselves http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116366

#6 ·
Geez I've never thought of doing that :doh:
I know it's simple, but I gotta give you a Rep. for bringing it to the attention of my simpleton self :D

#7 ·
I just get the brush wet and then pour the soap directly on it. Then just rinse the brush off. I do this 3 times while washing it, which is about once every 2 weeks (If it doesn't rain or there isn't a show). I have just found a new wax, Lucas Oil Speed Wax, which I spray on and wipe off every three or so washes. Interior gets vacuumed every week (I have a Jack Russell that sheds little white hairs quite a bit). The leather seats get cleaned and conditioned right before every show, it keeps them nice and shiny. Dodgert actually asked me what I use on them, cause they were really glossy, last weekend at a show in ATL.

#8 ·
I try to wash mine 2x's a week and allot of mothers quick detail spray

#11 ·
lol thanks for the rep!

I saw someone post about the 2 bucket thing a long time ago and I was too chicken shit to admit I didn't know what it was so I googled it lol. Definitely keeps the water clean.

You use a brush on your paint, joe? Doesn't that scratch it?

I'd love to wash my truck every week or even month but I just don't have the time. Luckily with white it doesn't really look very dirty ever. I'm mainly concerned with protecting it, not how clean it looks anyway.

I haven't washed it but once this year I don't think. I went on a 2,600 mile road trip to AR and back a few weeks ago, I did wash the front end after that to get the bugs off(don't want to ruin the paint). I do a lot of stuff like that here and there to keep it protected, but only give it a full wash a couple times a year, if that.

#12 ·
For y'all that don't have a chance to clean up your trucks very often the following might be of some interest---Wax only lasts about 60-90 days before another coat needs to be applied in insure continued protection; a paint sealant last about 6 months before another coat should be applied for continued protection. There is a "new product for consumers" that you might be interested in--http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html. You have to spend some time preping the surface but I understand the results are pretty amazing. If your interested maybe Luke can give you more specific information about it. I have never tried it myself however. I'm lucky enough to have enough spare time so I wash my truck weekly and use a sealant(Wolfgang 3.0) and top it with a good wax(Collinite 845) every 3 months. I use a spray detailer everytime I wash it.
Jay

#14 ·
For y'all that don't have a chance to clean up your trucks very often the following might be of some interest---Wax only lasts about 60-90 days before another coat needs to be applied in insure continued protection; a paint sealant last about 6 months before another coat should be applied for continued protection. There is a "new product for consumers" that you might be interested in--http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html. You have to spend some time preping the surface but I understand the results are pretty amazing. If your interested maybe Luke can give you more specific information about it. I have never tried it myself however. I'm lucky enough to have enough spare time so I wash my truck weekly and use a sealant(Wolfgang 3.0) and top it with a good wax(Collinite 845) every 3 months. I use a spray detailer everytime I wash it.
Jay
I've heard this about wax many times, that it doesn't last. I was even told the crap stuff I use only last maybe a month. What could I use once a year or at most twice a year after washing my truck to better protect it? I only wash my truck once or twice a year, so that's the only time I could apply a wax(or sealer or whatever). But if I'm doing it with crap wax anyway why not use something that will be better(same amount of labor). I just don't know what to use.

#15 ·
WOW----Everyone has their favorite wax just like everyone has their favorite ice cream or favorite beer and they all swear that it is the best, longest lasting, cheapest and it goes on without any work etc etc etc. And besides that I can buy it at a big box store for amost free. That said----- The wax and sealant I recommend is used by professional detailers, and it is not the cheapest in the world--but it works, it lasts, and I get compliments all the time on how good the truck looks. My choice is Wolfgang sealant 3.0, which will protect the paint for up to 6 months and then I top it with a wax, Collinite 845. The Collinite gives it a little more protection and gives it a deeper gloss. If you use a routine like this every 6 months, whatever products you decide on, your paint should be protected year round. I'll see you in Ft Worth and maybe we can talk about it some more. I'll try to remember to bring some of the wax and sealant up with me so you can take a look at it. Here is a couple web sites that will give you tons and tons of info on waxes and sealant, will compare the two and will show the results of both.
Autopia.org
Autogeek.net
Autopia is a professional detailer site
Autogeek sells professional detailer products
Jay

#17 ·
If you wash it real good(with your 2 bucket method--use Dawn soap)) check the paint surface to see if you need to clay bar it. You probably will, at least the first time you start this process. After you clay bar it check for any scratches the clay bar may have left--if there are some then you will need to use some sort of a polish(maybe Meguries)before you put the sealant on. It sounds like a long drawn out affair but it really isn't--maybe 4-6 hours. I think you will find the results amazing--and long lasting.
Sorry I thought you were going to make it to Keller--maybe next time. If you have a chance check out those 2 web sites, like I said ton's and ton's of info there that will help you decide what the best product is for your application. If I can help you answer anything else let me know--or Luke is the "resident" expert in this section, maybe he can give you some advise if you ask.
Jay

#20 ·
The clay bar will clean the surface. It will remove all the sap, ground in dirt and other contaminates that you usually can't see. To check to see if the surface is free from any contaminates, put a cheap zip lock bag on your hand and rub the surface with your hand. It should be smooth as a babies butt. Once the surface is completely clean then you can start with the polishing, sealing and waxing process. Sometimes when you use a clay bar it will leave small, sometimes hard to see scratches in the paint. When that happens you have to use a polish to remove the scratches before you put any sealant or wax on. The sealant and/or wax will not completely remove all of the scrathes. If it doesn't leave small scratches then you can go straight to the sealant. When you use the sealant, remember that less is best. It can be applied with either a buffer or by hand. I apply mine by hand. Always use microfiber towels.
Jay

#21 ·
Lol I was turned on to adams polishes by a friend and his car stays immaculate. Go to there website and watch there videos and it will show you how to get a perfect finish and keep it that way. Stuff is not cheap though. My wish list is almost 1k lol. Alsays use the 2 bucket method and I personally would never use a brush on the paint. Detail spray is good for after a wash and dust settles in the truck but don't try and scrub dirt with it. I use a California duster and LIGHTLY remove dust bride the detail spray. Also get good microfiber towels. The ones you get at the box stores suck and scratch everything. If anyone uses a bath towel to dry please stop ASAP and get a drying towel. I could talk for hours on detailing. Lol

#23 ·
what is the murphy's used for??...must admit i never heard of it mixed with car wash.
The oil in the murphys protects parts from corrosion and the vinyl and rubber parts from dry rotting, etc. The car wash soap is obviously for getting bugs and dirt off. Works well as a mix IMO as far as protection. May not give it that perfect shine but it looks good and clean and IMO protection is #1.

#27 ·
May be a silly question but are waxes and sealants the same thing? Also what is best a paste wax or liquid wax in anyone else's opinion. To me liquid applies better. I must ask too, for those who detail it fully every 6 months, how do you wash it between times because dawn breaks down the wax quick so what else do you use for quick cleans.

#28 ·
Research on autogeek.net for the difference between wax and sealants. They do an excellent job of explaining what products to use and what results you can expect. One difference is that a wax will last about 60 days and a sealant will last about 6 months. Inbetween sealing/waxing your truck you can use a good car wash soap(not Dawn) and follow that up with a good spray detailer. If you do that weekly you can expect your truck to look good until you need to reapply your wax or sealant. Autogeek also sells detailing products, however they are not the cheapest in the world and some of their products are pretty pricey also.
Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.