DODGE RAM FORUM banner

P0303 & P1281 Misfire cyl.3 & Engine running to cold

10K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  RAMING IT 
#1 ·
Well guys and gals just wanted to post what was going on with my truck after porting my intake and heads on this thread=http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80084

Yesterday I noticed my truck running a bit.. I dunno how to explain it but Ill say its running with less performance, MPG's went down and exhaust smell like its burning freaking rich.

Today I noticed the check engine light pop up :i_rolleyes:. I kinda expected it. So I pull the spark plug on cyl.3 and after unpluging the spark plug wire I noticed a small puddle of motor oil build up on the spark plug. I pulled it cleaned it up and reinstalled. I reset the computer, started it up and took it for a drive. It felt alot better after driving 40 plus miles. Im assuming it cycled a few times and engine light would of poped up by now. Im curious how the hell that oil got there :4-dontknow: and will it happen again? Should I prepare myself for something bigger to happen hahaha damit. Oh yeah whats up with that P1281 pd code "eng running cold". Has anyone had this similar problems? Im searching through threads but maybe im not looking in the right ones:wow:

Thanks ya'll for reading. Ill keep ya'll posted on my future findings and results.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Tstat.

Not 100 percent sure about the oil situation but I can tell you the trouble code p1281 is 99 percent of the time a thermostat problem. I had this issue with my 5.9 last year about this time. Installed new one and was good to go
Good to go BRYAN! I should of replaced that muther when I had her out. :doh: Im going to my docs appt 29 miles away. We'll see how she performs. Im also buying some new plugs.

#4 ·
Well after inspecting the engine i've concluded that it might be a valve stem seal, or maybe some kind of debri not letting a valve close.

#6 ·
Gaskets and all the misc. things was about 160 ish. Give or take. I did all my the work myself so no cost in labor. At the present time im feeling more work than its worth but honestly I know when I square away all these smaller issues Ill feel it was worth it. Plus this mod ties in with all my future upcoming mods so when its all said and done... It'll definetly be worth all these headaches HOORAH!

#7 ·
Leaky Valve Covers

So guess what I found out today... To my suprise the oil was leaking from my valve covers. The RTV wasent holding up so im replacing them with gaskets. Thank god I thought it was somthing major. :wow:

#10 ·
Thats the Million dollar question and after driving it for about a month I feel it was worth it not just because of the performance but because I have been wanting to do this mod & a couple of others ones for a few years now, and after successfully pully this off alone:i_rolleyes: from day one (well not really alone the Z helped out too) it has given me a hell of alot more confidence;) and jbryan that right there bud is priceless:head3:
But back to performance yes bud It helped pick that 6600 lbs beast up! That alone is an acomplishment hahaha. Well my other future mods (wish list) are as follows:

1 Going back to stock tires 275/55/20 maybe 285/50/20 I loved how they handled! Currently using 275/60/20

2 Remove 2.5" leveling kit

3 Blisteen shocks all around

4 Crossed drilled rotors all around

5 Hooker longtube headers

6 True duel 3" exhaust , xpipe w/ dual series 10 flowmasters dumped

7 UD pulleys

8 Electric Fan & Water pump with HD alternator(not sure yet)

9 Comp Cams 270 Magnum hyd. flat tappet cam kit pt# K20-214-4 dont wana go to go to crazy right now.

10 Edlebrock Air Gap Intake

11 MSD ign. 8mm wires

12 Looking to getting it all tuned by hemifever

#14 ·
Thanks Bud:smileup: dont know how but Im shooting for the end of the year to having this List halfway done if not completed.

Reactions: Wildcat
#13 · (Edited)
Great list. So the valve cover leak was the culprit?

or did you also replace the T-stat?
Indeed it was. I had decided to go with a high temp RTV and form a gasket but we all saw how that went:i_rolleyes:.

I took the covers off, cleaned up the surfaces and double checked the torque on th rr's. After everything was good to go I threw on a nice new pair of gaskets that fit like a glove.

Yes the T-stat was changed bout a week ago but whats wierd it was running fine til yesterday when the temp made it passed the halfway point on my temp gauge getting to the 3/4 mark but never made it to red. Hmmmm it never gets passed the halfway point ever. I let it cool down and it seemed great the rest of the night and this morning. IDK we will see.

#15 ·
Just read your other thread and this one, and wow, what a task to tackle on your own. :rep: for ya diving in and getting er done!

#17 ·
Just read your other thread and this one, and wow, what a task to tackle on your own. :rep: for ya diving in and getting er done!

Thanks:smileup: bud for that. Im glad someones reading my threads hehe. It was a little intimidating at first ...That I will admit but after some detailed research it was just following steps in ORDER lol one by one till you get that last bolt torqued down and ready to enjoy...

#16 ·
So how are you planning on wiring in the o2 sensor? I want true duel exhaust on my 96 but was under the understanding that it would require more wiring, at least one more o2 sensor and some computer work.
Will also follow you on your trip through the "wish list" and see what performance you get when you are done. Great work so far. Shaun

#18 ·
So how are you planning on wiring in the o2 sensor? I want true duel exhaust on my 96 but was under the understanding that it would require more wiring, at least one more o2 sensor and some computer work.
Will also follow you on your trip through the "wish list" and see what performance you get when you are done. Great work so far. Shaun
Im not sure if we have the same set up.... Exhaust manifolds ,upper 02's each side then precats on each side then lower 02's eachside then "Y" pipe and finally the beast of a "cat" with no sensors after it. Is that what your setup looks like???

#20 ·
02 sensor after it damn! Its gona throw a code if you remove it. There are some threads that talk about how to fool your pcm into believing you gota 02 but honestly going with a freeflow or hiflow however you want to call it would be better.

BTW i ended up finally going back to my 275/ 55/29 pirelli scorpions and removing the leveling kit. Damn it handles better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.