DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Judge consolidates Toyota lawsuits

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Daddy 
#1 ·
Judge consolidates Toyota lawsuits

April 9th, 2010 by DaveAdmin

A judicial panel has decreed that all Toyota unintentional-acceleration lawsuits will be consolidated in the automaker’s US-headquarters state of California.
Over one hundred cases have been filed, with very different demands. Most are claiming compensation for deaths and injuries. Others, though, only aim to force Toyota to broaden its recalls, demand the inclusion of brake overrides, or refund owners for losses in vehicle value or purchase prices.
The panel reportedly considered leaving the death and injury cases separate, but chose in the end to put them all together.
The result will save Toyota a great deal of time and money, but could complicate the tasks of those who lost family members or have sustained injuries due to Toyota car defects, and is likely to reduce any compensation they receive.

#8 ·
No, Toyota is not off the hook. This just means instead of thousands of individual cases, they have been grouped together, saving time and legal costs. Now, if it were me, as a prosecutor here, and seeing how someone has already taken the time to "group" my clients together....can we say class action? One great big lawsuit, then go and stick it to 'em!!!

- Cajun

#4 ·
Just heard today about the Sienna's spare tire cable rust problems. Now you not only don't want to be in front of a Toyota and stand a chance of having one run away and drive up your tailpipe, you don't want to be behind one either lest you wind up with a spare bouncing through your grill.

I really feel for the folks affected. This legal move will really screw some unfortunate people.

#6 ·
Wow eh they really got off clean! What a bunch of crooks! They made defective cars and they dont have any consequences! What a bunch of lucky pricks haha

#7 ·
Heard about the spare tire issue this morning, man the problems just never seem to end for the poor folks who bought these vehicles.....Time to do a switcheroo to Mopar!!!

- Cajun

#9 ·
Only problem with Class Actions is that the land sharks get the largest individual payouts. Then comes the handful of original class members who receive fairly decent compensation and only then the general parties of the class who split whatever is leftover.

Remember, a judge is just an egotistical land shark politician in a black robe who started out as an ordinary land shark - and in the long run the landsharks look out for each other first. Sounds to me like that suit is going where they benefit the most....

Having had experience in a class action if it does go that way the bulk of those affected are pretty much screwed. I messed up and failed to opt out of a class action on defective siding years ago. After the settlement was reached and the land sharks got their seven figure cut (for time & "expenses") and the original class members got their siding replaced, the payout the general members of the class received worked out to less than 15 cents on the dollar it took to replace the junk with cheap stuff. But one neighbor up the hill from me (who happened to be a land shark himself and knew of such things) formally opted out and kept his action separate. When it got down to crunch or court time the manfacturer who made the junk and the builder who installed it wrong wound up happily settling to pay for replacement with brick all around rather than going in front of a jury.

Don't think most of the affected owners are going to be too happy in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.