DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tires and Leveling

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  double moo 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm struggling with a major decision. I have been doin a lot of reading on leveling trucks. I have a 2011 Ram Big Horn and don't like the nose down look. I guess I have a few questions here.

If I do a 2" level will I even notice a difference. I'm scheduled to get it done next Friday.

Also, I am curretnly running the factory P275 60 R20 tires. I'd like to run them until they need changed. Will it look ok?

Basically, this is a famly vehicle and not used for offroading unless I'm going deer hunting in the fall and winter (which is pretty frequently). So, for the most part, this truck statys on the road for work and travel. I don't want a real aggressive tire. I do, however, want a tougher look.

Do you guys have any suggestions for tires that fit my needs? Should I go with 33's? Stay with my current size? Are my current ones like 33's?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really have no clue. I'm not afraid to admit it. Lol I posted a few pics of mine as it is right now.

I'm just not sure if leveling the truck will make that much difference. If any of you have pics of your trucks leveled with a similar setup, please post.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
I also have a 2011 Big Horn with the 275/60R20's, I have not leveled mine yet but once I do and my factory tires are worn out, I am looking at the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's in either the same size or 275/65R20, the original size is a 33" tall tire just like our stock tires, the 65 series is a 34" tall tire. I am seriously thinking about going back to a 17" rim just to get a wider selection of tires, plus of course tire prices would be lower, would it make up for the wheel cost, not on the first set of tires but maybe down the road i would break even atleast :)

#5 ·
Sounds like what ypoou want is a set of goodyear silent armour. They look like an All terrain but really are more moderate. I am in the same boat with the rake on my 2006 ram but the guys who are doing mine said the 2" leveling would be perfect and not effect performance. Don't change the tire size as the 275/60R20 size is fine and the ride is great off the road which really suprised me when I drove down in our pasture. Check with discount tires direct customer service and check onlinetires.com to see if they are cheaper. he is a link to the tire...

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/goodyear/275%252F60-20+goodyear+wrangler+silent+armor+114t.html

#7 ·
If you are just going for a level, I think a 2" is perfect, it will still have a tiny bit of rake. 2.5" seems to get pretty close for level, but you throw anything in the bed and you are now nose up. I installed the procomp lift/level kit which is 2.5 inch front and 1.5 inch rear. Drove around with just the front done for a few days, and didn't like it, put the rear on and now I have basically a 1" rake instead of the 2" from the factory. But it also lifted the truck up that amount.

Here is a link with the examples
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112620&highlight=Procomp

#8 ·
The 2" lift will effectively level your truck to within about 1/2" or so. Anything more than that and you risk ending up with a nose up stance and then having to add blocks in the back to correct. You can run up to a 35" diameter tire with a 2" level, just watch the width. Anything over 11-1/2" wide will likely rub on the upper control arm and require spacers. I run an LT275-65-20 (34") on a stock suspension truck with no problems whatsoever. I like BFG AT T/A KOs since they look good and do everything well. Lotsa good tires out there by BFG, Nitto, Cooper, Toyo, Goodyear that will outclass your stock wranglers easily. Going with a larger tire than 33" will cause your speedo to be off a bit and will change your effective axle ratio. LT (Light Truck) tires are tougher but stiffer & heavier and will cost you a bit of gas mileage.

#9 ·
Look up cooper zeon ltz. my buddy has them on aftermark rims and the look way bigger than mine. The crazy thing is its the same size tire as the FACTORY! Google them, and look at images. I may go with the 285 once I get my leveling kit on. I just have a 2wd but I will deff need the leveling kit. Is your's 2wd? or 4wd?

#10 ·
I originally leveled mine with Tuff Country spacers. I eventually read enough bad about this type of lift that when I replaced my shocks I upgraded to a set of Bilstien 5100 with the asjustable ride height. I took out the spacers and set the shocks for 2" of lift. Truck does handle better than with the spacers.

I swapped to 18" rims and went with the Cooper AT3 LXT in 285/75 r17 - theses are 34.84" x 11.5" load range E tires. They feel great, tons better than thw BFGs I took off, and look good too. The truck just looks better with bigger tires. I also ran the Zeons at one point but they didn't hold up out hunting in the desert - load range C don't have the carcass to take on the rocky dirt roads ( rock punctured 2 tires less than 2 miles apart - only one spare, long day with good friends making the 3 hr drive with my snow tires to rescue me). The BFGs are great looking and drive fine initially - as they wear they get louder and rougher... and they suck in the snow (off road I liked them a lot).

TLDR - Bilstien 5100 adjuatable shocks for the leveling is good, Cooper AT3 LXT are good, second guess BFGs... YRMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.