DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need new tires?? What to get?

3K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  wermbang 
#1 ·
hey i got a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 2 inch leveling kit on it with a glasspack. Im tryin to find some good all-terrian tires for my truck im not tryin to spend a whole lot of money but want a good looking tire. give u a idea i got pro comp xterrains on it now 305/75/16r. Wal-mart has a nice looking tire the wrangler athourty At the biggest size they carry is 265/75/16r and i was thinkin about getting them. for $165 per tire. but what size is a 265/75/16r is it a 31 or 32 or 30in tire? i go off-road every once in a while like during hunting season & pullin some one out. u think i should get the Wrangler athourty At's from wal-mart if so y or y not? Thanks

#5 ·
Ditto! I had a set on my 1998 Dakota and got nearly 70k miles out of them! They won't guarantee the mileage, but if you take care of them, they will last a long time.

#3 ·
what you have now is 34x12x16
the walmart tire would be a 32x10.5x16

#4 ·
i agree with Tom on the BF, Pirelli Scorpions A/Ts have served me very well in the past, you can get em at Sears if I remember correctly. Also Courser OTD work great too

#6 ·
I have had good luck with the Yokohama Geolandar AT-S and the BF Goodrich All Terrains (I recommend the Yokohama's over the BFG's).

The best luck I ever had was with some Buckshot knock-offs that I got used at a tire shop. Still had 95% tread on them. All 4 tires mounted and balanced with 20 new lug nuts for $180.00.

I'll also throw Cooper Tires out there too, but you don't see them a whole lot...

#7 ·
I'm looking at getting the General Grabber AT2 for my 08 1500, here pretty soon. They are $195 on tirerack.com. That's for a 305/50R20 btw. I've heard some good things about them.

#8 ·
HELLO. iM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN GET THEM DOWN THERE (IM IN CANADA) BUT I HAVE AND LOTS OF OTHERS I KNOW HAVE USED HERCULES TIRES. gREAT TIRE AND GREAT PRICE HERE. i HAVE HAD BFS AS WELL THEY WERE GOOD BUT$$$$ COMPARED TO HERCS. JUST MY OPINION.:Hey:

#11 ·
anybody used the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor tires? I'm a long ways from needing new tires, just curious. According to their advertising, they're supposed to have better dry, wet, snow, and offroad traction than the Wrangler HP tires (which is what came stock on mine) and are supposed to be just as quiet.

#13 ·
My '02 Ram came with Michelins that gave me 80K miles. They also stayed ROUND. I replaced them with new Michelins that are a LT style with raised white letters. They're meaty enough to do any off roading. They cost more, but in the end they are worth it! Got 'em at walmart, they have the best prices. Just check their work when you pick it up and you'll be fine. By all means stay away from Goodyears. They are famous for belt separation...

#14 ·
By all means stay away from Goodyears. They are famous for belt separation...
I have to second this. My wife has had hers replaced multiple times now due to this (at least they were still under warranty). Last time the sidewall blew out completely on a 28,000 mile tire (still had 1/2 it's tread left).

And I still cannot convince her to try another brand . . .

#15 ·
I run Kelly Safari Trex. 285/70/17s. I also have Kelly's on the minivan.

I am not a fan of Coopers. My dad had two blowouts going down the highway within 2 weeks, on about 80% tread. Now both his fenders, running boards, and headlights needed replaced. A person in my Plymouth club also bought Coopers and within a week of buying them had a blowout. When I bought my truck it also had Coopers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.