DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Flex plates

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Gen1dak 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the difference between the 1994-1995 Flex Plate and the 1996-2001 flex plate for the 5.2l is?

I think that I may have the 1996-2001 plate on my 1994 truck.

Any definitive way to tell without pulling the engine?

Truck runs, but seems like the ignition timing is very retarded when in open loop mode...

Seems like the split is at the change over from OBD-I to OBD-II.

Ideas?

--

#2 ·
The only difference (for the 5.2) is the bolt pattern for attaching to the torque converter changed from the asymmetrical pattern to a 90-degree symmetrical pattern. If you have a '96-'01 flexplate, you would also have a matching vintage torque converter as they were used by Chrysler in warranty work. The only other way to use an OBD II-era flexplate on an OBD I-era torque converter is to oval-out the one bolt hole in the converter that doesn't match up. All OBD II flexplates and converters can be identified by the "90" stamp in the castings, indicating they are of the symmetrical 90-degree bolt pattern variety. For the 5.9, there is one additional difference in that the balance weight is on the torque converter for OBD I, but was moved to the flexplate for OBD II.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.