DODGE RAM FORUM banner

ABS Computer?

12K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SI Integra 
#1 ·
I am not sure if this is the correct location for the post, but here goes.
I am throwing 2 codes from the abs computer.

Code 83: Tire revolution per mile out of range.
Code 82: Number of tone ring teeth out of range.

When I first restarted the truck after replacing the engine, it also had a mismatched Vin code, which apparently remedied itself.
After reading several posts and Google searching it seems when the dealer replaced/flashed the pcm, they did not adjust the tire size in the abs computer?
The tires are oversized at 285 70 17 instead of the stock 245 70 17 (I think was the stock size)

My question is after calling 2 dealers who both want to charge 105.00 to enter the tire size into the computer and they will not say if this will remedy the flashing and dinging abs on the dash; am I just throwing money at the issue? I have swapped the abs sensor in the rear end out already.

Is there any way to program that relevant information into the truck without the dealer computer?

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, maybe I can help someone else here. It turned out the codes WERE a result of the tires being over sized and the tire rotation count being off. Hooked up the snap-on solus and it showed the rotation count for the tires at 400. They needed to be adjusted to 634.
Clearly that was throwing a lot of stuff off.

Many of the 1-400 scanners will not program this. I have a 320 scanner that will delete some codes, but these were "hard" codes that my cheap scanner would not address.

Moral of the story, buy a quality scan tool if you work on cars a lot.

#4 ·
Im glad you got the issue fixed. I am going to school to become a technician and you would be amazed what oversized/undersized or a mismatched tire size will play havoc on an ABS and Traction Control system. Luckily most of these issues can be resolved like yours was, but alot of people dont realize or care about flashing to the PCM to prevent this issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.