DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Transmission stuck in park (gear) and...

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Astartes 
#1 ·
So my transmission is stuck and park. It turns on fine and runes fine but when i try to put it in gear and shift it from park to drive nothing. Its stuck in park. After I turn it off from my failed attempts I got under the truck. i noticed a distinct "ticking" noise. No idea whats going on....

#2 ·
Keep in mind that I'm not mechanic, and I'm just guessing here.....

It sounds like the linkage for the transmission may be either in a bind, or just otherwise stuck.

Did you you notice anything that looked like it was out of place, or otherwise just didn't look right while you were under the truck? Are you able to pop the little cover off of the shifter bezel and press the override button/ switch (or what ever you wish to call it) that allows shifting without the ignition being on etc? If so try that..........

good luck and keep us updated

Exco

#3 ·
What does the dash display show when you shift it out of Park? Does the PRNDL still show "P"? If so, then I suspect your shifter cable is broken or disconnected.

Crawl under the truck and see if you can shift the lever on the trans (driver's side) by hand. NOTE that you should have the parking brake fully applied AND the wheels chocked when you do this! Especially if you're parked on a slope!! Lever on the trans will be all the way REARWARD in Park.

#4 ·
Don't forget to try the release that is tucked away under a little plastic tab near the gear shifter. It is supposed to be used for overiding the brake lockout I believe. Could eliminate that as a possible culprit (The brake lockout that is).

#5 ·
Yup RSG1963 I believe hit it. Look on your console near the shifter for a little square "plug", pop it out and you can push down the release mechanism with a pencil or whatever, then try to move gear shift. Happens a lot on mine in dead of winter after driving ice roads / bush roads to work and ice, snow, binds the mechanism.
Let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.