DODGE RAM FORUM banner

04 1500 4x4 Blistein 4600 Shocks any good? Replacement ?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pgarfinkle 
#1 ·
Hi, I am looking at replacing the Shocks on my 04 1500 Hemi Quad cab 4x4, are the Blistein 4600 series shocks front and rear any good? Is there a better shock to go with?

Any tips on replacing them anything to watch out for? Any special tools? Does it change the alignment?

Also what about the Front stabilizer bar is that something I should change? Or do you wait till it goes bad? How can you tell if it is bad?
If I do replace, which one should I use.
Thanks

#2 ·
bilsteins always get praised, but I find a oem comparison to be great if you are not looking for a change. No special tools required for shocks. They are very simple to remove and install, dont even have to lift the truck up just lay under and your good. Quick job.

front stabilizer can be done at same time. Unless you feel a difference or see it is leaking then leave alone, that too is a quick simple replacement job.

#3 ·
I only have a 2 wheel drive Ram QC from 2009
I can't really see a difference in the OEM & Bilstein 4600 shocks, i have 120,000 miles on the Ram & i changed shocks out at 100,000 miles, same time as i changed my brake pads

I have been considering going larger with my sway bar, i would go with Hellwig if i do

#4 ·
Any recommendations on what stabilizer to install?

#5 ·
So I ordered the 4600 series Bilsteins, Any install tips? Torque specs? The front shocks how do i torque the top lock nut? the shaft appears to just spin, I see there appears to be a allen key in the middle of the shaft to hold it, but then how would I get the torque wrench on it? If I can't how do I know when it is tight enough? Thanks

P.S If I decide to put a leveling kit in it can I still use these shocks?

#6 ·
Ok, I installed the Front and rear shocks today, I am glad I picked up new bolts and nuts front and back as I had to cut one off and another I messed up.

I must say the ride is so much better now I never would have guessed Id notice this much. The fronts were stock with about 100 K on them and the bushings were shot and I could compress them by hand very easy. The rears were monroe sentrac unsure the mileage and these felt fine.

The top nuts on the front have torque specs of 40 FT LB but I was unable to torque them because they spin. I called Bilstein and they recommend if you don't have a Torque wrench that would work is to do about 3 full turns on the nut, the Rubber bushings should not stick past the washer.Mine are about 1/16th smaller then the Metal washer, and that was with about six turns or 7 MM of bolt sticking above the nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.