DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Exhaust Question

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
What you guys think about swapping the muffler for a y pipe? I have a flowmaster 40 on there now....it sounds pretty good....but i want a more aggressive sound....:box:
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I am considering doing the same, after installing some JBA Headers and replacing the stock Y with the Magnaflow Y it is just too quiet for my liking so I am considering getting rid of my 40 series FM as well as the Y and just running dual straight pipes.

MODS LIST! JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y Pipe, RC 3.75 Combo lift, 35x12.50 MTs, Truxedo Rollup Tonneau, Rhino Lining, Rampage LED Light Bar, Westin Bull Bar, Chrome Mirror Covers, FM 40 Series, Bushwacker Color Matched Fender Flares, Hypertech Calibrator, Airaid TBS, K&N 63 CAI, Mopar RAM Slush Mats, Westin Step Bars

#3 ·
yeah see im thinking about going y pipe, then maybe taking the resonators off my stock dual exhaust. then again i heard it doesn't really do anything either(idk how not?)

#5 ·
so other than magnaflow, i assume anyways, what will give me the best sound? I aint really looking for headers or anything like that. Just exhaust under the truck

#11 ·
I talked to Magna flow tec. He told me removing resonator's would cause a power loss. Have you changed to a cold air intake? I went with the Magna flow muffler and cold air. Gained a lot of power for the money. I wondered what sound you would get with straight pipe and leave the resonators. I did not want that junker sound that you could here a back pop in. The Magna Flow I put on was very short not much of a muffler, compared to stock. If we could ever get a super chips , these trucks would be running in the 13 s going to head down to test and tune night at the strip and find out what I'm running now.

#6 ·
The Mag Y is just fine, it shouldnt cost you more than 50-75 bucks at a local muffler shop with install unless you know someone then it might be a little less....Don't delete the resonators though as it causes a nasty drone from the MDS when you are in "eco" mode.

JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y Pipe, RC 3.75 Combo lift, 35x12.50 MTs, Truxedo Rollup Tonneau, Rhino Lining, Rampage LED Light Bar, Westin Bull Bar, Chrome Mirror Covers, FM 40 Series, Bushwacker Color Matched Fender Flares, Hypertech Calibrator, Airaid TBS, K&N 63 CAI, Mopar RAM Slush Mats, Westin Step Bars

#7 ·
The day after I bought my 2012 QC I took it to the muffler shop and had them swap the stock muffler for a 40 seres flowmaster. I think the sound is very aggressive with a deep growl. I think it is perfect. Something you might want to try is instead of running a single muffler go to true duels and run two mufflers.

#8 ·
Before I have the truck I have now, I had a 2010 Ram with the 4.7L. I ran "true" duals from the cats to glasspacks and out the back. No resonators.

I am thinking about running the same setup as before on my 2012 5.7, the sound was really aggresive and throaty. They key though is to get rid of the y pipe, and just go true dual.

#9 ·
True Duels

:smileup:great topic,,,,I bought my 2012 Ram reg cab hemi just over 2 months ago,,last week I had true duals installed ,,no cross over or h,,no resonators,no drone,no x,just straight back with twin 14'' magnaflows,,if your looking for a true agrresive sound this is it.

#12 ·
that's funny that a magnaflow tec thinks he knows what will work on our hemi's... our hemi's like flow...a resonator delete should make a difference and i would be not runnin 12's if I kept my reso on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.