DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Spare Tire

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  HEMILANCER 
#1 ·
Folks,

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn edition. It came with an 18 inch spare tire instead of the 20 inch full size tire that is on the truck. I've heard the reason that a full size wasn't supplied is because the exhaust that comes out underneath the rear bumper is to close to the spare tire and would burn a full size spare. Is this a true statement?

Has Dodge come out with heat shielding that fits around the tire to prevent burning it?

If you need to run a full size spare (I pull a travel trailer) is the only option to reroute the exhaust??

Vic Garcia

#3 · (Edited)
The factory spare is a P235/85R17 full size on a 17" steel wheel, temporary use

..same diameter (32.7") as a 275/60R20, just not as wide
235 vs 275 =40mm ...about 1.5" less width. ;)

it weighs about 75lbs almost the same as stock 20's w/tire (80lbs) ...for those like me who like to drop it for racing weight reduction.

You can use an identical stock 20"wheel/tire for a spare if you pick one up on ebay or the local salvage pick-your-part.
...but the center bore hole may not allow the tire T holder to pass through (for those with Chrome Clad wheels) without some trimming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.