DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tint your taillights the easy way

6K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  Rise Captain 
#1 ·
I wanted to share to you all what I believe is the best way to tint your taillights. I would highly recommend not painting your taillights. Mostly due to the fact you cant undo paint.

For instance if you accidentally spray a few too many coats and eventually you get a ticket and now you need to fix it with new taillights.

Go online and buy your self some taillight tint. Yo can buy different shades and colors. Taillights are much easier to do than windows due to that fact you wont see air bubbles as white spots. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to pull out wrinkles. A big thing to remember is take your time and use a lot of spray solution. You will get those wrinkles out.

A few more reasons I would recommend tint instead of paint: You will always get even coverage, It can always be removed for resell, It can be removed for leagle reasons for lighter tint. And its much easier make perfect than paint, no bugs, dust and paint runs to worry about.

You may have a few water spots left in the tint. Just poke the big ones with a needle or razor blade. Most of the little one will disappear after a day in the sun.

Heat will allow you to wrap every edge perfectly.

I recommend leaving extra on the back just to help it from peeling away.

Before

After

See less See more
#34 ·
Wow that came out real good!.. I've always stuck with the traditional spray lens tint on my friends vehicles.. my truck has the spray also.. I taped off the reverse lights as well as the cargo lights

#35 ·
Rise, did you end up using VHT? They look great and are your wheels plasti dipped?

#36 ·
I used "Rustoleum brand lens tint" on my truck.. I have used both brands before, the only difference I can really notice between both brands is VHT gives a more glossy finish where Rustoleum has a more flat or matte finish.. Even though at this angle the left side does look shiny.. its really not that shiny.. The wheels ARE plastidipped.. 1 can/each side.. 4 coats per wheel.. side emblems are also plastidipped.. debating about the tailgate ram still to this day.. any opinions ?

#37 ·
nice, i never knew rustoleum made tint. i left my hemi badges on thats all, im thiniking about taking them off and putting them on the tail gate. i plasti dipped my wheels 1 can per wheel and am gonna actually use ORT's guide and paint them

#38 ·
They sure do.. At first I was going to remove all of them.. Then I thought why not just plastidip them.. I think I need a thicker coat on the wheels like as if it was a can/wheel like you did.. Did you plastidip your handles and mirror too ? any close pics ?.. I first did my wheels to protect them from the winter.. now that the truck is all blacked out.. Im gonna keep it black.. I should paint them as well.. Im very curious to how your came out if you end up doing them plz let me know!

#39 ·
yea ORT did his wheels and has a write up and they lasted him 3 plus years i think. no problems at all.. i color matched my handles and mirrors as i have a write up aswell under the knowledge base section! go check them out and be sure to give us some reps! not many people have noticed our hard work and then to share the ideas!! show some love!

#40 ·
My wheels have lasted a while and still look very good after a few harsh winters and a lot of road salt. There is a DIY that I posted which shows exactly what you need to do.

#41 ·
ahh theres ORT! :)

#42 ·
BlackHemi - I checked out your DIY on the handle and mirror painting.. looks pro.. i like i like!.. I ordered HIDs like a week ago and will be doing a nice DIY on the install for those in a few days..

ORT - I have not yet checked out your DIY on the wheels but im really curious.. could you post me a link for it plz?.. im thinking about permanently doing mine just like you did

#47 ·
BlackHemi - I checked out your DIY on the handle and mirror painting.. looks pro.. i like i like!.. I ordered HIDs like a week ago and will be doing a nice DIY on the install for those in a few days..

ORT - I have not yet checked out your DIY on the wheels but im really curious.. could you post me a link for it plz?.. im thinking about permanently doing mine just like you did

yea bro i really like it. thanks for the compliment, it really holds up well and brings it all together! what k hids did you get

#44 ·
Thats actually a great write up!.. probably in the spring or so I'll give it a try on my premium 20's.. maybe with some color too.. Thx alot though for the link!

#45 ·
Glad I could help. If you need any assistance just let me know.

#46 ·
Will do ORT!.. Thx for everything so far

#49 ·
Sweet, I'll be sure to look for your write up! Thanks Chris!

#50 ·
Plz do man.. Well see how it comes out when my lights come in!

#51 ·
ive got 8k heads and fogs now from HID extra, theyre good but i think i wanna do 6k again!

#52 ·
I had 6k in my last lifted ram.. Its the way to go.. I just thought Id try something different going to 8k with this truck.. hopefully it looks good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.