DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bummed about track times.

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  compressor man 
#1 ·
Went to the track last night and made a couple of passes. Ran a 15.01 first run, and a 14.81 on the second. I thought I'd do a little better than that w/ the mods I have. Kinda makes me not want to do anything else to it, feel like I'm wasting money at this point.

#4 ·
Did you run on the 22's? Any track prep? Weight reduction? paper air filter or cold air intake? Did you spin any? 3.55's?
Only prep was lowered pressure in rear tires. No spin. Ran w/ TC off and then on. Ran wheels/tires in sig. Yep, they're crap 3.55's. Stock intake+mods in sig. I thought I would be in the mid to low 14's.

#3 ·
Did you run on the 22's? Any track prep? Weight reduction? paper air filter or cold air intake? Did you spin any? 3.55's?

#5 ·
Next time pull your air filter, I would look into some 17's with a set of short radials, pull the tailgate and rear seats for a little weight reduction. it seems like a lot but But that kind of stuff helps a lot! It's hard to get that big of a truck in the low 14's or high 13's with only a tune and muffler, just keep going man, you just started modding so keep your head up

#27 ·
Next time pull your air filter, I would look into some 17's with a set of short radials, pull the tailgate and rear seats for a little weight reduction. it seems like a lot but But that kind of stuff helps a lot! It's hard to get that big of a truck in the low 14's or high 13's with only a tune and muffler, just keep going man, you just started modding so keep your head up
Spare tire removal would help as well

#6 · (Edited)
I think you need to invest in 28" drag radials if your going to want to bust into the high 13's bud. Correct me if I am wrong but "TheBlackHemi's" CC runs 3.55's and 28" drags for track times in the 13's. His lightweight 17" wheels with his 28" diameter track tires weigh in at 53lbs. Try weighing your 22" wheel and tire, and see what kind of weight is holding your truck back. You just have to find your right setup for track days thats all.

#8 ·
You are right with everything but I have 3.92s and my truck will never see 13s again LOL it's stripped down and back to stock. All I can say is when it was all said and done I was left with a broken tranny and Whitelightning is a female dog IMO for completely point the finger at me and not owning up to his f up.

#7 ·
The things that are killing you are your 22" wheels, even if they don't weight much compared to other wheels, the bulk of the mass is much further away from the hub, which increases the rotating mass, requiring more torque to get moving.

However, for you mods with a full weight quad cab your times are about right. My '07 ran low 15s with similar mods and I wasn't into the 13s until I was running a cam/heads + nitrous. You have to remember you're trying to race with a 5900lb brick, so to get it moving you need more power.

A gear swap and smaller wheels will help with your ETs greatly, but if you really want to get faster you need to generate more power.

#9 ·
I really didn't see any improvements with my mods tell I installed the long tube headers, Now she pulls hard all through the rpm's. Get some headers on that fat girl. lol

#10 ·
I had to get a converter, longtubes and dr's to see low to mid 14s. It takes alot to get these trucks going. After this cam swap next week i will be done modding my truck and buying a car to build for the track.

#12 ·
My truck should be out the shop hopefully tomorrow but when I told him about it in an e-mail he pointed his finger at me. Go figure I install his tranny tune on April 1st and my tranny dumps on the 5th. The dealer told me the scanners showed tq limits and pressures that were too high and go figure what do you think he tune my tranny for. He increased line pressure and I'm sure he killed TM because I was burning rubber from a dig like no other. I e-mailed him after the dealer told me what happened on April 17th and never got a reply back. That's ok I'm about to make a thread and put him on blast with all the e-mails from day 1 dealing with him. That snake was trying to steal Hemifevers tunes from me since January LOL but anyway I'm done with my rant.

#14 ·
I have an 09 with the lifetime drivetrain warranty so I set my tune back to stock erry (lol) time I put in in the shop. Not sure how many miles are on ur truck or how long ur warranty is but I would think that you would know to set ur tune back to stock in the same case no doubt. So how would the dealer know this was done to ur trans...just saying? He may be blowing smoke up ur tailshaft...ur tailshaft if you know what I mean. I had SC trans tuning and my sylonoid /clutch pack went out at 30k ml but it wasn't SC fault. It was these trans not being capable of over 450 hp. I literally burn rubber from a 20 mph roll erry (luv this word, sry) time and again at second gear shift, all stock with just a K&N wet filter and SC and custom Jerrico (me, lol) tune. I have to pepper my truck in a race from a dig with SC t/m set at 8%. I shift out at 6100 and the 6000 in sec. Could go to 6200 but torque falls off there and doesn't do sec gear burn as well. Grant it I have a RCSB/3.92/30" useless G/Y tires. I know ur pissed and I can't blame you, but maybe you should think a while before jumping to conclusions about blaming this guy? I would be willing to bet that ur issues are the same that I had with mine at 30k mls....solonoid/clutch pack. I've had none since and my trans has been through hell and back @55K mls especially towing. I'm currently on a 91 tune but mostly run a 93 since tuner came out. As it stands, I am sure that my trans could not take my current tune/hp if I were running R/M drag radials. And I'm not going to either because of. In any case good luck with your truck fix and your new toy Mustang. Came inches from getting one myself had it not been for the 10' timing chain and four cams, lol. Can't see myself modding that engine durring a rebuild. Wouldn't know how to deal with four cams/timing and I'm good with them, lol.

#15 ·
They didn't know initially but when you split the engine and tranny apart whats in the middle....a circle d TC LOL. Yeah my vavlebody was trashed, clutch packs...to the point where I didn't have 3rd and 4th gear. Of course what I was doing to my truck was decreasing tranny life but come on when I didn't show no signs of tranny problems for 5 months straight with Hemifevers tune and I swap over on the 1st and my tranny takes a dump on the 5th. Let me remind you nothing changed with mods, so first thoughts would point towards a tune.

Then the way he handled the situation pretty much sealed it with me, just leaving me hanging and completely ignoring me. After finding out exactly what the dealer told me was the same things he tuned my tranny for. Increased line pressure (have the e-mails) and 4th gear lockout...and you know along the lines he did decrease TQ mangement which cause raise in tq limits. After talking to a few people about Whitelightning over various forums I wasn't the first one that he dumped their tranny after only days of installing his tune....I believe the count was up to 9. So you guys use him if you want but I wouldn't let him touch my truck again with a stick. I know he's partnered with a vendor on this forum and if they don't mind taking a chance with his tunes under their name that fine but I'm sure when this happened to me he sent out retune's as quick as he could LOL

#17 ·
My thoughts exactly. If I mod anymore it will be gears and then TC. I understand the benefits of smaller wheels/drag tires, but I would prefer to run it the way it would be any other day of the week. To me, its a more honest interpretation of what a primarily street driven vehicle can do. And I'm lazy. :gy:

#19 ·
Gainesville. Do ever come up to the track here? What kind of times do you get?

#20 ·
I've been there once and it was back in the beginning of February before I installed my torque converter. I got 3 runs in. 1st pass-13.69, 2nd pass-13.67, and 3rd pass-13.65.

I'm definitely itching to go back, but it's hard to get out there because it's a 2 hour ride for me, but it's worth it for the track prep alone.

#21 ·
Yeah, it's a great track and I'm fortunate to be only 15 mins away from it! Those are some pretty good times, what do you have done to your truck besides gears (what ratio?) and TC? What kind of numbers do you anticipate with the TC? Let me know if you do come up, I'd like to see your truck run.:smileup:

#22 · (Edited)
18" Magnaflow-Volant CAI-Jet 180 tstat-Billet Technologies catch can-color matched door handles, antenna base, tailgate handle, interior trim, mirrors-polished billet 21" antenna-Belltech 3/6-TYC Efan-4.10 gear swap-Mag Hytec diff. cover-Whitelightning tuned-Boss 20" 335 wheels with Nitto 420s 285/50/20-Relocated battery under bed-Spohn adjustable track bar-Circle D billet 3200 converter-Moe's 87mm TB

These are my times from my last outing at Orlando Speedworld after installing the converter
60' - 1.775
1/8 - 8.433 @ 79.59
1/4 - 13.446 @ 097.29

#25 ·
Nice. Probably would take a lot more mods for me to get thoses kinda numbers out of my quad cab pig, lol.

#23 ·
For reference I own a Challenger with the 5.7, its got a custom tune through a Diablo Predator, Corsa cat back, CAI, catch can, and a 180 T stat. I've only run the 1/8 mile, but its been around a 8.90 at just under 80 mph. My 60 foot times were around 2.10. For comparision to Tyler B's times, you can see our speed is about the same, but his times are much better, mainly due to his better gears and the fact that he is hooking up much better. My Challenger probably weighs almost 2000 lbs less than your truck.

#26 ·
Im going back to the track next weekend and im hoping for some low 13's

#28 ·
Those are decent times for your mods, you would see a nice drop in times with ARH headers and a torque converter. You will at some point need a LSD rear, no matter what gear you choose, one wheel peel will only let you go so far. If you aren't going to heavily track prep the truck, you can't expect to get into the low 14's on those wheels, its just too heavy and not enough mechanical advantage in the rotating mass. Keep at it, every little thing helps, along with practice.
I should be going to the track tomorrow, hoping to get into the mid 13's in track trim, and 13's in street trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.