DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Radio code

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Greybeard52 
#1 ·
I got my Flowmaster exhaust installed. Now I'm ready to install the K&N 63 Cold air Intake. I'm reading through the instructions and I see that I need to disconnect my battery, which will kill my radio. I have to get the code from Dodge I guess, because I can't find it in my owner's handbook.
Any advice on this? I have a Volvo that I replaced a radiator on this year, and I had to call the Volvo dealer who wanted to charge me to give me the code. Has anyone dealt with this code issue? Also any advice on installing the C.A.I. would be appreciated. I always hate instructions that say, "if you have this year model do this, but if you have that year model do this." BTW: I have a 2009 4.7L Ram. Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to having more torque to pull my travel trailer.

#2 ·
My truck is not as new as yours but pretty sure they all say to disconnect the battery before putting on your CAI.

I didn't and it runs great. The computer re-learned everything on it's own anyway. Now that I think of it I've never disconnected the battery on any mods really. Good safety check but mine isn't a newer Dodge either.

Maybe someone with a newer ram will chime in?

#3 ·
Thanks. The directions say to disconnect battery and if I don't follow directions I could do serious damage to my truck. That always makes me pay attention. I don't want to fry any circuits. I can do without the radio for a couple of days, but cannot do without my truck. I'll probably just disconnect it like it says to do and call my Dodge dealer and beg for the code. I really miss 60's model cars, that you could work on anything. Computers in cars are good and bad. And expensive!

#4 ·
No need to disconnect battery for an intake, the only sensor you will touch is the intake air temp sensor, and you won't hurt anything. Just unplug it, follow instructions, and plug it into it's new location. Only way I would disconnect battery is if the intake kit had you soldering, or crimping the wires on the intake air temp sensor harness to extend it (it probably won't have you do that). I installed my intake and didn't disconnect battery, no problem. Are you sure you'd even need a code anyway for the radio?

#6 ·
Sorry to take so long to reply. I was at work all week. thanks for your answers about the battery. I trust your judgement so will go ahead without disconnecting. I'm just a little twitchy after dealing with my Volvo. Those guys at the "stealership" try to gouge you for ever buck they can. I had a coolant leak and I couldn't find where it was coming from. Put the Volvo in the shop to have it diagnosed and they said, "We don't know where the leak is coming from but we want to replace your radiator, water pump and head gasket. For $3100." No kidding. I paid my $59 for the diagnosis and got the H out of there. I found a small leak on my radiator and replaced it myself for a couple of hundred dollars.
So anyway, I'm a little snakebit and proceed with caution these days. I work hard for my $$$ and like to keep it. I'll let you know how it goes with the C.A.I. R&R. Thanks.

#7 ·
It's done.

I got the K&N C.A.I. on my Ram this Sunday. I can tell that it is breathing better. The guy at my shop where I got the Flowmaster put on, said to just try the Flowmaster and C.A.I. before putting on the Superchip. But I can already tell I want more HP!
I remember the cars from the 60's when I was a teen and this Ram doesn't run anything like those. Yet!
Thanks for everyone's help. I didn't disconnect the battery and the radio is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.