DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bilstein 5100 install not going so well

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Chickenhole 
#1 ·
I got my front shocks off and broke down to install some 5100's. Now with them set at 2.8 the spring is a bitch to compress far enough. I tried using the hand style and it didn't work, so I took them to the hobby shop on base where they have a wall mount one. After cranking the shit out of it, the spring flew off and hit me in the balls. I damn near passed out. SO I take them to a repair shop up the street. Now they're saying that their compressor isn't big enough. So I start calling 4x4 shops and everyone's going to a big show this weekend. So now my truck is stuck 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the garage with the whole front end taken apart. This is turning into a major pain at this point. And I'm scrambling to find someone who can do it which isn't working so well either. Alright, enough venting for now. Time to ice the marbles.

#2 ·
damn dude. they shouldn't be that hard to compress. I used a shitty hand one. you just need to compress it enough to get the top nut off.

good luck and be careful

#3 ·
Getting them taken apart wasn't the hard part. Compressing the springs enough to get the nut on the Bilstein is the problem. Now I'm calling all over Va Beach trying to find someone who will do it today or tomorrow.

#4 ·
I had to thread the nut first without the thing assembled all the way down then back it off so that when it came time to put it on with the whole thing assembled it was easier.

#5 ·
mine were a bitch to get on my 07. Had to use a impact each side of the compression tool i got from Autozone. cause it was way too hard to do by hand.It made me nervous as hell but just do each side in equally.

#6 · (Edited)
That sucks bud, can you get your hands on an impact? I used the same one you did I think? It worked fine. Actually I had them @ 3 different settings in a week lol. I can't believe the spring flew off and hit you, that's crazy. If you manage to get an impact, tighten each side a little at a time, maybe 5-10 seconds each side , this will help keep the same tension on the spring so it won't fly off again . One more thing, make sure you put the washer on the rod first, then spring cap followed by the lock nut. If you can, compress the spring enough so that's its not touching the spring cap, this way you can make sure the washer and nut are tight and snug.

Spring compressor
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r727/danmoseleywilliams/image_zps36b11b9a.jpg

Washer
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r727/danmoseleywilliams/image_zps8bf0f960.jpg

#8 ·
Sucks you're havin issues, i used that same wall mount in the back room on Oceana to do mine. Matter of fact, this time next week I'm doing my buddies truck at the NNSY hobby shop...fml. What all shops did you call? I know most of the big shops are backed up till next week and some. Hell I couldn't even get an appt to get my tires swapped out till next Friday.

Hit me offline, Im sure I get you taken care of :D

#9 ·
Dang man, I hope you get it straightened out. Be glad that spring didn't smack you in the head. I'm sure it hurt but man those things have the potential to seriously hurt you.

Maybe I'm still a little juvenile but I cracked up when I read the part about the spring hitting you in the satchel, lol.

#10 ·
After some ice on the stones yesterday all is good. I took them to Tread Quarters first thing this morning and they had them done in 20 minutes. After yesterday I was glad to pay them to do it. Got home and reinstalled them which was really easy and now it's at the tire shop waiting for them to mount and balance the 20x10 chrome Hostages with 35" Toyo's. It sits a little front high right now, but I haven't installed the rear spacers yet since they needed it this morning to get the tires worked in. After I get it back, spacers installed, and washed I'll post some pics. It should look sweet.

#12 ·
After some ice on the stones yesterday all is good. I took them to Tread Quarters first thing this morning and they had them done in 20 minutes.
That's awesome man. I didn't realize tire places treated testicular injuries!! Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad you got it worked out. Remember to get an alignment and looking forward to pics.

#11 ·
glad you got it worked out! be sure to post pics

#14 ·
I did them myself with the AutoZone loaner and an impact had also had them compressed at SEARS for a small fee. It was worth the 75.00 or so to keep my manhood in tact!

#16 ·
And now the plot thickens. Got everything together and took it to the shop to get the wheels and tires mounted and I ordered and paid for 35's and they got 33's. So now I gotta take it back and get the right tires. They did let me keep the 33's on until the 35's come in so that's good. It's not bad, but there's too much fender and not enough tire with them. So far we're sitting with 1.25 RCX Body lift, Bilstein's at 2.8, and I'll put the rear 1.5 spacers in tomorrow. I just want this evolution to end at this point.

#17 ·
damn that's a bummer, but could be worse haha.

#18 ·
I have a set of Bisteins sitting in my garage and I was planning to do them myself once my rubber needed changing (with new wheels of course). Picked up a princess auto set of compressors too...but after hearing about this ball-busting story, I think I might just pull the struts and have someone do the compressing-strut swap-decompressing at a shop. That way I can avoid any issues. I don`t have air in my garage anyway, so I might run into issues. panelman...I hope it all worked out for you. I am sorry, but I laughed my ass off when I read that you hit yourself in the nuts, but I am also glad you didn`t hit yourself in the face dude. Hey, post some pics for us! I`d like to see your ride when it`s all said and done.

#19 ·
Here's the finished product. Looks pretty good I think. Drives nice and I haven't really noticed a difference in performance, but then again I have the 3.92 option so that probably helps a lot. And after trying to give myself a home vasectomy I'd gladly pay the $60 again to have someone else do the springs. LOL

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.