DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bad Cat or running lean?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
Just a few days ago I noticed a propane smell when I came to a stop. Its not all the time but I smell it about 2-3 times a day. At first I thought there was a diesel pickup near by running propane injection but it has become to frequent to be that.

I have been told it's my cat going bad but I always thought that a bad cat smelled worse then that and more like a sulfur/skunky smell.

Someone also mentioned to me today that it sounds like I could be running lean.

Without an AFR gauge on my truck or access to a decent scanner (all I have is for heavy trucks and a code scanner). I can't see in I am in fact running lean.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

#2 ·
Do you buy gas from a certain gas station? It is possible you are just pumping a bad batch! Other than that if you have a 1996 or newer there will be a post-cat oxygen sensor which should set off a emissions failure code, if you are getting this code than it is either the cat or the sensors.

#4 ·
I believe on the older CATs,
The tile coating of Platinum & Palladium starts to break down after a period of use

When it breaks down, it is said to smell like burnt almonds or rotten eggs
When it does break down, you could give the side of the Cat a rap or 2 with the palm of your hand & hear it moving.
From what i understand, the newer Cats use a different way of applying the precious metals & the old way of hitting it does not work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.