DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Is this even feasible?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  06srt10 
#1 ·
Hey, I have a 1989 Dodge D150, and I was just wondering if I could somehow put the whole engine/tranny/driveline assembly of the Ram SRT10 into my truck with modifications needed, of course, or if it would be easier to just put my body on the whole chassis itself, with modifications needed, of course. Yes, I am serious about this. This has been my dream and vision for the performance of this truck since I got it 3 years ago.

#2 ·
Anything is feasable, depends more on your available funding, fab skills, and time and effort you are willing to put into it. For most it is probably way more expensive than its worth.

That said I have seen Boss 427's in Pintos, Blown 350s in VW bugs, and just about everything else you can imagine. If its your dream go for it, but do ALOT of research on what you will need to get it done!

#3 ·
Anything is feasable, depends more on your available funding, fab skills, and time and effort you are willing to put into it. For most it is probably way more expensive than its worth.

That said I have seen Boss 427's in Pintos, Blown 350s in VW bugs, and just about everything else you can imagine. If its your dream go for it, but do ALOT of research on what you will need to get it done!
Boss 429 or 427 SOHC?

I think it would be easier to bolt in the engine, trans and rear and adapt the rest of the truck, versus trying to adapt an entire body to a newer frame. As stated, anyhting is possible depending on your skill and/or wallet.

#4 ·
I can't see why not I have seen LS1 motors like my 98 Trans Am in everything from old Fox Mustangs to Nissan 240 SX's. I have seen the supercharged Lightning drivtran swapped into older F150's. hell I even saw a 460 in a 89 Fox mustang. Anything can be made to fit if you have time, skill and of course $$$.

#5 ·
I am sure anything is possible, just not sure if this has been done yet to a D-150. Goodluck and keep us posted if you get started on it.

#6 ·
The reason why I want to do the entire frame and chassis is because I would have a higher performance suspension. I understand that it is not an easy task, but I really think that I want to try it. If I bought a wrecked one, and I could use everything but the body, I would do that. That also includes stealing those sweet seats and stuff :p

Also, I don't think of it as if it is a complete waste of money. I am looking at it as a truck that most people knows cant do 0-60 in 13 seconds, and transforming it into a truck that runs like a bat outta hell. I thought about just swapping the engine, tranny, and other essentials, but I think it will be about the same if I swapped only the body onto the SRT10.

#7 ·
There are 165 things that are different in the SRT-10 that the regular RAM doesn't have. Some of the differences are: Dodge modified the Ram Heavy Duty's rack & pinion steering & independent front suspencion for the 10. A fully hydroformed Dodge Ram frame was used in conjunction with a custom-tuned suspension. Bilstein shock absorbers, performance-tuned springs & unique aerodynamic aids were used to enhance the 10's higher-speed performance. An additional 5th shock was used on the rear axle to prevent wheel hop during wheelspin. The brakes were modified from the Ram Heavy Duty truck for the 10. The standard ABS-equipped brakes were fitted with 15 inch rotors in front and 14 inch rotors out back. The calipers were designed by TRW and unique to the SRT-10. It goes on & on & on. If you tryed to turn you truck into a 10 it would cost you more than it would to go buy one. If you want a "sleeper", buy the 10 and take the badges off & put V8 badges on. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.