DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2wd to 4 wd

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 ·
When switching between the 2 /4 wheel drive...
What are the rules/instructions.
I don't want to me anything up. I know low and locker must be in neutral but how fast can you be traveling to switch it into auto or high??

#2 ·
First, you should read your owners manual. Put it next to the toilet, hehe. I believe 55 mph between 2 hi and 4hi, I've done it higher, no problem. If you ar driving and it starts raining like hell, or road conditions get bad in a hurry.

#19 ·
Why are you using 4 wheel drive in the rain? Unless you have the auto 4 wheel drive the transfer case should never be locked in on a hard surface road in the rain. Unless your tires are shot and you are hydroplaning there is not enough slip to protect your transfer case from damage.

#7 ·
I know a LOT of people with 4x4 vehicles and the only people that have had problems with theirs are the ones that don't regularly engage the front axles from time to time. You know, the one that goes for 3 or 4 years without ever using it and finally gets into a situation where they NEED it...and it fails...well, what did you expect? I don't know anyone that's worn out a transfer case...but I'm sure there is one out there.

#18 ·
I know a LOT of people with 4x4 vehicles and the only people that have had problems with theirs are the ones that don't regularly engage the front axles from time to time. You know, the one that goes for 3 or 4 years without ever using it and finally gets into a situation where they NEED it...and it fails...well, what did you expect? I don't know anyone that's worn out a transfer case...but I'm sure there is one out there.
On the newer 4x4s you do not need to periodically lock in the 4 wheel drive. Back when we had lockouts I always locked in the transfer case once a month for a couple miles to spin and lubricate everything.

Even the 1996 I had that had the CAD did not need locked in on a regular basis to protect the transfer case. The older transfer cases were lubricated only by turning the gears and/or chain inside the transfer case to bring oil from the sump to lubricate everything. By 1996 there was an actual oil pump inside of the transfer case. From what I had been told this was from people that were buying trucks for cars and thought off-road meant pulling into the Walmart parking lot.

Current 4 wheel drives do not even have the CAD so the entire time the front axles, ring gear, pinion gear, drive shaft and all the internals of the transfer case is turning all the time. Totally eliminating the need to exercise your 4 wheel drive.

#8 ·
Well, my 4x4 is going to get a workout today. We're getting slammed with snow and it's supposed to followed with ice.Anyway, I agree about engaging your four wheel drive periodically for the health of the system. I believe that "use it or lose it" is very appropriate.

#9 ·
I just got the truck days ago.
I didn't have time to read the whole manual yet.
And we are getting a huge storm so I figured you guys could save me a minute is why I asked.
And maybe 4 auto for the rain?
I wonder if 4 auto for snow would be consonantly kicking in

#10 ·
Auto will engage the front axle when the computer detects rear wheel slippage. It is almost unnoticeable unless you are looking for it. If you are driving on slippery roads or surfaces that are loose like gravel or snow covered roads, it is safe to use the lock mode keeping in mind that if the front axle can't slip once in a while you will feel drive-line bind.

You can engage either on the fly. You can also download your owners' manual from the RAM web site in a .pdf format.

#13 ·
Someone more familiar with the system probably has a better answer but just from reading I gleaned that if your truck is equipped with AUTO 4wd that you might benefit from that mode vs 4wd lock if you are driving in snow/slippery conditions but not necessarily needing 4wd all the time (which does use more fuel) but need the system to kick in quickly as opposed to the LOCK mode where you might beleaving it in 2wd and switching manually (as I would do since I don't have the auto) as needed.

Here in Texas you usually either need 4wd or you don't...not a whole lot of in between conditions 99% of the year. Up "narth" it can be a whole different animal... (used to live in WA).

#14 ·
4 auto is full time 4wd, and can be left on all the time. It will only engage the front wheels when it senses the back wheels slip, so you can drive with it engaged on dry pavement and you won't damage your truck because only the back wheels will be getting power until they slip.

4 Lock is part time 4wd, you can only use it when you are in slippery conditions because it locks the front and rear driveshafts together at the transfer case so the front and rear wheels will always be turning. If you are on dry pavement in 4wd lock and you try to turn then you will bind your transfer case and could cause pretty severe driveline damage.

#22 ·
I had a situation this week where I got the azz end buried in a pasture and went to 4 lock and nothing? I then proceed to go to neutral then 4 low and she eased right on out of that hole. I guess if the rears are spinning then it doesn't want to kick into 4 lock? I also am not used to electronic transfer cases as I noticed how it took it's sweet little time shifting into 4 low. Reguardless though this 14 was a beast in low.......Really need to get out and learn the capabilities and functions of our trucks guys, Im coming from a 06 Superduty and it's weird having no solid front axle or locking hubs.......

#23 ·
Its better to shift into 4wd before you get stuck because the t-case has an easier time shifting into 4wd if you are rolling slowly. If everything isn't meshed up just right the computer can refuse the shift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.