DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Extended Warranty ???? $$$$

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  highlandchef 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have an '09 with less than 10k miles and it came with the Lifetime warranty on power train. Should I look at an extended warranty if I plan on keeping the truck? If so, what will I need that for if I already have Lifetime?
Jim

#2 ·
I bought my '09 in February of '09
I also have the Drive train warranty

when i bought my Ram, i also had what they call the Added Care warranty, i had a choice of 5 year, 6 year, 7 year, or 10 year. I bought the 7 year or XX amount of miles. ( I typed that to give you a reference point )

You get a 3 year or 36,000 mile factory warranty, whether you get the Basic Care warranty or not. This warranty is the KEY, before you reach 3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first, you have to make a decision about Extended Warranties.

At 34,000 miles, i talked to my Service Writer & he told me what to expect & to go see the Warranty guy in the Sales Dept. ( my body tensed up in preparation, i don't like handing out my $$$ )

The Warranty guy still remembered me from the purchase of the Ram, i didn't like him the first time, because he never gave me a straight answer.
Well this time he told me how it works

What ever warranty that you have, besides the Factory Warranty, is Pro Rated, then they CANCEL that warranty, they then apply the Pro Rated amount to the New warranty & you only pay the difference.
You just have to decide whether to get the ADDED Care or Maximum Care Extended Warranty & the duration of the warranty.
I bought the Maximum Care Lifetime warranty, i believe i paid about $1,000, the Pro Rating took care of the rest
I have $100 deductible
The TRICK to the Deductible is to get everything done that you can at the same time, the deductible is Per Visit, not for each part. If you need to replace a non critical part, wait until a 2nd part needs replacing & get them done at the same time

This is the Added Care Warranty
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/added_care.cfm

Maximum Care Warranty
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm

Good Luck with your decision

Reactions: mopar09
#3 ·
GTYankee is correct on everything. I just got the Max Care and so far, not needed it. I do tow a travel trailer and felt I may need the warranty some time in the future. Just having the warr is making me sleep better, along w some rum!

#4 ·
My max care warranty with a $100 deductible has just about paid for itself, and I have a 2010 with 64k miles on the clock.

I recently had a pinion seal replaced as well as a passenger side mirror as the glass was turning this burnt bronze color - apparently the heating element was burning off the coating.

Anyway, just the mirror alone was like 450 bucks, plus the labor to install, and I'm sure doing the pinion seal was an hour of labor at least. I've had a few minor things done as well and, yes, the trick is to bundle up those minor things into one visit so you only have that single deductible, as it's per VISIT, not repair.

My opinion is the warranty will no doubt pay for itself plus more. I paid just under $1700 for the max care and I bought it just shortly after purchasing the truck new.

Put it this way - if the mygig radio goes, that unit is what, probably $1500 alone?

Just my .02

#6 ·
I just bought one yesterday cause my 3 year 36k runs out next month, I will still have the factory liftime power train warranty but for peice of mind I went with Route66 through my bank and they just added into my loan. 4 year 75k, bumper to bumper, no detuctable for $1400, its also transferable if I ever sell it and if the truck is ever totaled I get a full refund . Seemed like a pretty good deal to me,

#7 ·
I just cashed in my extended warranty after they refused to fix my driveshaft, they blamed it on my tires because they are larger than factory 305/55r20's.

#10 ·
Thats one reason I bought my warranty outside the dealership. I figured they would be less apt to argue a claim if it was coming out of someone elses pocket,

#12 ·
Just got my 2012 Limited last night, I think i got a good deal on the truck they were $2500 less then others i was working with and the truck i got has all the options i was looking for, Plus they gave me $2000 more for my trade in over others.

I plan on keeping this truck 10 to 15 years, so I got the life time warranty,
the only thing you have to watch is if you have 300k mile, and the engine gose, they will determen if the truck is at value of a new engine, If the cost of repair is higher then value of truck they will buy the truck at value

#13 ·
I have a 09 Ram 1500 laramie full loaded. Alot of power everything. I have 37,300 miles on my truck. Never had a singe issue in those 37,300 mies knock on wood. Do you think its wise to buy the extended warranty with Chrysler? I do have the lifetime limited powertrain as I am the original owner.

#15 ·
When I bought my 09 last year I added an extended warranty to it. Haven't needed it but it was a good deal so I'm glad I have it. I believe I'm covered up to 80,000 miles.

Does anyone know if you can extend the extended warranty before it expires? And how long can you get the warranties for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.