DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Completely lost

3K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  Warlock III 
#1 ·
I have 2001 ram 1500 5.9 I've done the testing that i know how to do, i think i have narrowed it down to a problem with the ASD relay. Possibly shorting out im not sure... i have spark once in a while at coil but not consistent i've looked at wiring diagrams i am "Completely Lost" i dont really know how to read them, if anyone has a wiring diagram that they could help me out with i would appreciate the help

#3 ·
No i didn't how do i go about testing that i've physically looked at the wire didn't see any damage im very new to using the multimeter im 31 and this truck is the first vehicle that i have had that i am doing all the work on with the help of this site and youtube videos i have been doing pretty well so i am open to any suggestions thanks guys

#4 ·
I want to go out and check stuff over right now but i dont have a garage and its raining... if there is other trouble shooting i can do when i get out there you can shoot it at me then i can possibly give you more information when i get out there to check it and get back to u

#5 ·
That's all I can think of until it's ruled out. Baby steps. Admittedly you are new and I don't think you should be inundated with multiple options that could possibly lead to frustration.

Check for power where it plugs into the coil. Front passenger's side of the engine. I may be wrong, but I believe it goes to around 12v while cranking and drops to 5v once started.

By the way...

#7 ·
I am not an expert, but recently went through my own issues. At one (initial) point I had suspected the ASD and/or fuel pump relay.
If I recall correctly the ASD uses the same relay type as the AC compressor. To rule out or isolate the ASD relay, you may be able swap it with the AC compressor relay. Before swapping, please check the relays numbers closely, to validate I am correct.
Also, if in doubt, listen to Warlock before me. He helped me.:smileup:

#8 ·
do u know how i would get gas into my oil? i checked the dipstick today and its a good thing i did there was a lot of gas mixed in the oil so i changed the oil and filter im assuming thats from cranking so much without it having a place to go? tested green wire to coil had 12v, tested the grey black wire on crank sensor i got the appropriate reading of 5v which supposedly means crank sensor is good? Checked the ASD i believe that is good can feel click when ignition is turned on getting the 12v at coil and with relay removed get 12v at 2 out of the 4 terminals, i get spark at the coil just very very rarely i need to get it there every time but im not sure how, as far as i can tell the pickup coil (camshaft sensor) is good i replaced it last month, not that it has anything to do with spark but i got 46psi on fuel rail appreciate the help guys!

#11 · (Edited)
(Carried from PM's) Looks like it's a 2001 only, part #P56028550AD

Couple questions: what is the manufacture date? (Before or after 06/25/2000)

I'm assuming that since it's NY it's standard emissions. Correct so far?

I located 3 in NY: Staten Island, Binghamton, and Bernhard-Bay. 150, 125. and 115 respectively.

P0601 is an internal error and the truck just pulled into the garage and caught the toolbox servicing another vehicle. Total mental failure.

It's a waste of time but you can take the PCM to the Stealer and let them try to re-flash it but I've never seen it work.

#13 ·
Just about any The computer (system look up) says 01 only. But from experience I believe that 99, 00, 01 will work 5.9 and 5.2.

The updates say one year only but there weren't any major changes between those years and has to do with flash updates.

Cross referencing engines and other components widens the year range. An engine from a 94 will work in the truck and most of the connections are similar, but not the same.

So what I'm saying is that you shouldn't have any problem with a ECM/PCM from a running/tested vehicle from 99-02 except the flash updates, but that's just a manufacturers update and doesn't really effect the running/compatability of it's use in your truck.

#16 ·
I changed out the pcm with a 99 5.2 ram 1500 it Started!!! So we are on the right path but i am misfiring like crazy and wont stay idle now and i got the code p1391 but ive changed the crank and cam sensors and coil with full tune up any tips or tricks to get past this? thanks guys

#17 ·
Go over the plugs and wires carefully. After you do that, try unplugging the TPS and see what happens.

Try unhooking the negative terminal on the battery. Cycle the key once and then rehook it. It may be in limp mode and needs to re-learn. Try to let it idle for a few minutes if it's not too bad.

#18 ·
the code was p1391 which was cam and crank so even though i had already changed the crank sensor 2x i dont know what made me look at it again, but i pulled it out and holy crap the sensor must not have been bent to a nice 90 degrees on the the plate from the 5 minutes i had it running over numerous times it ripped into that crank sensor so i returned it and changed it again much much better! now it wont stay idle if i give it a little bit of gas it its fine but if i let it set there it wont idle long gas pressure steady 46 psi, no # codes but it does say NO BUS? Im 90% better than i was but not there yet any suggestions thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.