DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Flowmaster Super 44 Sounds BAD! (as in not good)

8K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  RadioFlyer 
#1 ·
Ok so i just put a si/do 2.5" Flowmaster Super 44 on my truck. It sounds like crap between 1200 and 1500 rpm. When my foot is in the throttle accelerating it sounds fine but once I let off to cruising speeds (40 mph) it sounds really bad. It almost sounds like the exhaust is out of tune if that makes any sense. Is there any reason or fix for this? I've checked to make sure everything is tight and there are no leaks. I'm at a loss:4-dontknow:

#3 ·
is it when the MDS kicks in??? that makes it sound like shit.

my flowmasters don't drone at all and sound great all the time. I disabled my MDS, sounded like a UPS truck with mds

#4 ·
Bennutts,
next time that you are doing that speed & hear that annoying noise, shift down 1 gear
that will keep the MDS from kicking in
I do it with my Ram while in areas with speed zones of 30-45 mph

I just have to remember to shift it back into High gear when i get to a highway ramp

#7 ·
I have no idea about the 08's bud sorry.

OP just like everyone else is saying it's your MDS making the exhaust sound like crap. I have the 44 as well with a resonator delete, and hated it when MDS was on. If you have a Tuner you can disable MDS, if not just put the truck in 5th and it'll shift up and down automatically without going into MDS mode

#8 ·
Yow/haul mode will turn it off. I had an 06, no cats and a flow dumped and the drone in mds was BAD and i used tow mode intown to turn it off, on the highway it wasnt that noticeable

#9 ·
ya u can run around in tow/haul mode or buy a tuner. I did the tow/haul method for awhile

#11 · (Edited)
Is 2008 3rd gen? I thought 3rd gen's didnt have MDS...

My truck came with a flowmaster and the drone killed me ever day I drove it. I ended up replacing with a huge SI/SO magnaflow and that helped a ton! I still get drone when im going fast, 70+mph, however it sounds pretty nice actually. I was told by an expert here to also have them dump the exhaust over the rear axel to help with the drone more.

Good luck.

#14 ·
2002-2005 = No MDS

2006-2008 = MDS

#17 ·
to each their own. That's the beauty of it. I get compliments on my FM 40 exhaust all the time. It's not obnoxious and doesn't sound "*******"or whatever people say.

plus my truck is a truck, didn't buy it for performance. I bought it to **** shit up in and get me where I want to go. I to this day don't understand what people mean by drone. If they mean I can still hear my exhaust note while going down the highway? then sure...it "drones" but that's the point..i want to be able to hear it...that's why I paid $500 for custom exhaust.

there are some other good sounding set ups for the hemis though...but ive always had flowmaster and always get compliments on how nice it sounds. My buddy heard another members truck here in person that had maggies and he thought it sounded like shit compared to my truck. When he got on it on the highway he said it sounded horrible. but..everyone's ears are different.

I'll keep reppin Flowmaster any day :)

#16 ·
I have the super 44, Single in/ single out.. with resonator delete and the diablo tuner, and actually dont mind the MDS drone... I do turn it off once in a while with my trinity tuner, but usually just leave it on as it doesn't bother me. But your best solution to turn it off would be to get a tuner with the capability of turning off MDS.

#19 ·
x2

I have flow 44s too and the MDS doesn't bother me. I can feel when it kicks in and out but I rarely can tell if I listen to the exhaust. Never sounds bad to me..

and flowmaster, magnaflow, dynomax etc. They wont net lots of HP. Maybe a few here and there but cars/trucks now days. Stock is far from restrictive.

#22 · (Edited)
I don't have a flowmaster exhaust but I've used them more then any other. I didn't get them for performance alone, they were mostly to tone down my loud headers. I put one on a daily driver S10 I gave to my son (best part was that he was happy). I bought it at Midas and told them I wanted the quietest one and they had one in stock....no regrets. I didn't expect it to sound so good for a 6 cylinder single exhaust and I don't think a louder one would have sounded good. I have a 3" AFE system right now with no complaints, it's kind of quiet compared to most. At the time in 2009 AFE was the first company to come out with a complete set all the way to the tips for the 2009 Ram. To the OP, I could hear and feel when my MDS kicked in as well and it does sound horrible even as quiet as my AFE is. Tuner took care of that crap a long time ago thank gawd....no more MDS. I'm not saying Flowmasters are better then anything else, I don't know which are the best. But unlike others I do think they sound pretty good. From listening to the majority on here I tend to beleive that Maggies are the best.....that's just hear say of course. I see that most of you know this but as a reminder the tubing and metal types play a big role in the sound affects of an exhasut system as well as the Muffler. I beleive my last Flowmasters were gavla aluminum as well as my tubing....it was a weight thing, lol. EDIT: BlownGP, sounds pretty nice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.