DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Spring Compressor??

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CHVYKLR 
#1 ·
My wonderful wife got me the Daystar 1.5" leveling kit for Christmas. It seems most of the posts on here are for installing on a 4WD... but I have a 2WD. Question is do I need to go to the parts store and rent a spring compressor, or can this job be done in the driveway without?

Thanks!

Ed

#2 ·
I have the same kit and finally got around to "trying" to install it today. To answer your question yes you do. I had the whole passenger side apart and the only way the stock spring was coming out was to be pryed or with a spring compressor. If it's that hard to get out it certainly isn't going back in with 1.5" spacer unless I'd had a spring compressor. So I had to put it all back together.

I feel like a I wasted 2 hours of my time but I guess it'll go quicker next time!

I'm 2wd also btw.

#3 ·
Good point....didn't think about trying to get the spring and spacer back in! I was hoping I wouldn't have to, but looks like I'll be going to Pepboys tomorrow! Thanks!

#6 ·
I had the upper ball joint, shock, sway bar link and the steering ball joint all disconnected and the brake caliper removed and when I lowerded the jack the lower control arm would not extend down enough to get the spring out.

I'll get a spring compressor and try again later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.